+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks pesca. Her cot is elevated. I tried walking her in the pram around the house but doesn't seem to work. I can't elevate the pram as much.

I don't want to be whingey if this is normal newborn behaviour but my gut is saying something else is wrong. I am just seriously at a loss at what to do.

Wow 18 months. I thought a 20 month gap was bad enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lots of great advice given. .. been through the same issues with my now nearly 9 month old.
    I found gaviscon was good. .. . Switched from mylanta to that. I bought the adult stuff and gave 0.5ml. I don't know if you'd be comfortable with changing without talking to your dr.
    Make sure you write down the symptoms and when they occur so you can explain it clearly to the dr.
    I would agree with pesca... changing to a lactose free formula might not help you. Changing formula can upset the tummy. Also if your little one didn't have lactose or cmpi then you've changed for no reason. How were the poops? That can be a huge symptom. Constipation or diarrhea. You can ask for a stool test. . it will cost $ and it tests something called calprotectin in the poop. This can be an indicator of intolerance. Maybe ask for some tests to be done. You can also get a test for blood in stools which can indicate an inflammation.
    Anyway. . just a few ideas to take with you to the dr so hopefully get to the bottom of the upset.
    Some babies just struggle with wind early on. .. but if your gut is telling you it's more than that then make sure you get the dr to help you!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is tougher when you have a toddler to look after as well. Do you have someone who can take the toddler out for a few hours so you can just look after the little one, and get a rest if she sleeps?

Mylanta is usually used just as a diagnosis tool, and then you can give meds or try other methods to reduce symptoms. Glad you are going back to the dr. Keep talking until they listen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    Pesca I have already changed her to karicare lactose free. I have tried to express but I lost my milk today so am heartbroken and so annoyed I haven't got to the bottom of this.
    Just on this issue, if you were interested in relacting it is probably doable. The ABA or an LC can help you with a plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

So I ended up going back to docs today and he has switched her from mylanta to Zantac.

Big relief to have something that will build up and work instead of just a per feed basis.

Although my sil is also struggling with a newborn with reflux and her paediatrician put him on losec basically saying its much better than Zantac.

Has anyone had any success with Zantac? Any idea why my doc would prescribe this over losec? I will ask next time I see him I am really just curious if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Losec suspension can peak with effectiveness at 10 days or so. . then the suspension becomes unstable and less effective. If you can dose the granules its good.
    We switched from Losec to zantac. .. and it was much much much better. My daughter was way more settled on zantac. So success here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tamtam that makes me feel so much better!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had rely good success with Zantac too, my paed said he much prefers it to losec!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha REALLY! I blame the not sleeping 13 month old for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it just comes down to what the dr has prescribed before and therefore the results that has achieved.

We use losec suspension but as tamtam said it can become unstable after a period of time. I am lucky enough to have a dh who is a pharmacist so makes small batches of it for me.

But I don't think either is the wrong thing to start with. If one doesn't work then try the other.