+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mylanta for newborns

Hi everyone,

So I took dd to the paediatrician last night due to the pain she has been in for hours at an end.

Dr suggested mylanta before feed and gripe water after feed and switch to a lactose free formula.

Now I have just gotten my first decent sleep since she was born 10 days ago however I have noticed that she is drinking less. Was drinking 80-90 mls now is barely getting through 60ml

I have a feeling the mylanta is filling her up - so my question is...did anyone give mylanta to their baby after a feed? It actually makes more sense after feed as well to stop acids from rising. I just don't want to overload her tummy after a feed with the gripe water as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    How much mylanta are you giving her? I doubt it would be filling her up.60mls is a normal amount for that age IMO. Sometimes reflux babies drink more than they need because they drink to try and get rid of the pain, so maybe if she now has no pain she is just drinking enough for her?

The amount of mylanta you should be giving her is so minute that I doubt it would have any chance of filling her up.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks peanut monkey she is on 1 ml before each feed. Seems to be going well but I'm unsure if its the mylanta or the gripe water or both???

Paed said if combo works to stay on it but I'm woRried of her being in mylanta for too long....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Oh wow 1ml is a bit... my 9 week old has reflux and we've got him on .5ml of mylanta before each feed. If your paed has said its fine I would try not to worry but I doubt the mylanta is making her drink less, so dont stress so long as she is having wet nappies she is getting enough and 60mls is fine for a 10 day old bub

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    *^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mean to alarm you but mylanta isn't meant to be a long term solution, only meant to be used for two weeks.

Also 1ml is alot at every feed for a newborn. The maximum dose is 1ml per kilo, per day.

Im sure your paed knows what they are doing, this is just the advice I was given for DS.

As pp said, excessive feeding is a symptom of reflux so it makes sense she would be drinking a more "normal" amount after being on the mylanta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mylanta is a short term solution and I remember starting my ds on it and getting some much needed sleep for the first time in weeks - heaven! He went onto it for 48 hours before each feed and then was started on Zantac for his reflux.

My ds was breastfed at that stage, but what I noticed when his reflux was treated (eg. once he started mylanta) was that he didn't want to feed as often and didn't seem to be looking for milk at the end of a feed. He was stacking on the weight so weight gain was not a concern. I wouldn't be worried about your bub only drinking 60ml instead of 80ml.

I hope the sleeping continues. We had bad reflux days and good reflux days, but heaps more good days on treatment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The PP have already given good advice regarding the meds and reflux.

However I'm surprised the Pead has suggested the meds AND changing formula already for a 10 day old?? Usually you try one thing first and wait for a change. The amount of babies that genuinely have an issue with lactose is rare (although many like my boys are milk protein intolerant).

If you haven't yet, I personally would be trialling the meds first before playing around with different formulas on such a young bubba.

FYI - my 5mth old only drinks 100-150ml max per feed, so 60ml at 10 days sounds fine to me. It's more about their daily overall intake, rather than per feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies thanks so much for your advice. I have an appointment on thurs with doc so will plead my case for proper meds as the mylanta does worry me and info think its making a difference when I can get it into her (she doesn't like the taste.

Pesca I have already changed her to karicare lactose free. I have tried to express but I lost my milk today so am heartbroken and so annoyed I haven't got to the bottom of this.

She is definitely having issues with wind . I'm just not sure if they are as a result of reflux or not. She also has a bit of infants friend (the formula is very frothy) and gripe water if she gets really bad

Truthfully after one better night she seems to be getting worse. This screaming in pain lasts hours - i am going onto my 6th hour now. The only thing that seems to work for me is holding her over my shoulder or upright in a sling.

I have tried every recommendation I can find to assist both reflux and colic but nothing works.

I'm at a loss and exhausted I am doing all nighters then walking in to take care if my toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh that's tough. It does sound like reflux if she only settles when upright.

Try elevating her cot/bassinet mattress, or even pop her in a pram? That way you could try and get some much needed sleep.

I feel your pain. My DS2 has reflux and also had allergies we have just discovered, so has been a sick/unsettled bubba. My DS1 was only 18mths when he was born so it's hard!