+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Can you have private Ob and deliver in public hospital?

Hi everyone just a quick question

Is it possible to have a private Ob deliver bubby in a public hospital? My last pg was fully private but this time around I'm not covered but I really want a private Ob for my pg as I'm high risk. So any input would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is what I am doing but I am not guaranteed my OB for the birth, but seeing as I will probably be induced I am assuming he will do it on the day that he is the on call OB. I think it just depends on the hospital. Where I am there is no private hospital for maternity anymore (it closed a few years ago).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some private OBs deliver in public hospitals, but you still have to pay the management fees etc and as you have to go into hospital as a private patient you pay for your hospital stay too (don't quote me, but I THINK you can get some back from medicare). If you're not insured, you will end up being out of pocket for all those costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I know of someone who did this recently, so it can be done. However I think it might depend on the ob and the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can have your own ob in a public hosp , I used a gp/ob and payed the normal antenatal fee each time I saw him which is around $80-$100 at his private surgery. Some will do shared care so you see the midwives at the hospital for some of your visits then the ob the rest of the time. You need to contact the hospital you want to give birth at and they can give you a list of the gp/obs who deliver at that hospital , they cannot recommend one tho. I still used my private cover while staying in hospital but check as you might not have to do that especially if you don't have cover. I did have to pay for my scans but some doctors will refer you to bulk billing places if available and if your not having too many scans as they can only send you for 2 ( not including the NT scan) bulk billed without a health care card as far as I know. I work with my ob and he attends all of his patients births , that is when they get the bulk of their payment from Medicare for the actual delivery even if they just pop in and the midwives most often deliver the baby. If you have a c sect then the hosp ob performs that and i believ that if it is an emergency csect then that is covered by medicare and your ob will see you before and after in hosp. It cost me way less for my 2nd child as I only ended up visiting my ob 3 times during the preg and the rest of the time I saw the midwives. But best to ring the hosp you want to go to and ask them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great thanks everyone for the info it's answered some of my questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you can but the public hospital also charges you. I ended up paying around $1000 to use public hospital with my own obstetrician. They charged me for two nights l think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    So can you have a private Ob for prenatal care and then be a public patient for the birth??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not all public hospitals allow you to have your own private OB. I would check what hospitals your chosen Ob is able to deliver at before booking in.