+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you had to wean because of biting?

My 6 month old daughter has just sprouted 2 teeth in the last 3 weeks and as a result is biting me so often. She's mix fed, bottles during the day and bf at night and throughout the night, so she probably bites the teats on the bottles so thinks my nipples are ok to bite. I'm so anxious about feeding her that I spend the whole feed all clenched up, anticipating a bite. I don't want to wean her yet but I don't know how I can continue with her biting me. People say its just a phase, but has it been a long term thing for anyone that resulted in you weaning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing, I am so petrified of this lol jr I hope she stops biting soon!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I had isolated biting incidents with all my boys, but I would always take then straight off theboob and say "no biting!" and then a bit later try again. I found they would only bite when they were not really hungry, or at the end of a feed and had a lazy latch going on.

Yes, I can imagine it could be confusing with having bottles that she CAN bite on. However, she should be able to learn not to bite you, with constant reinforcement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes. There are lots if different methods to curb biting and it can be a phase. Look at kellymom for info. I had to wean ds1. He got two teeth at 5mths and bit me every feed. He drew blood pretty much ever y time. I had many infections and even required antibiotics. At 7.5mths he got 5 more teeth(total of 7). I weaned him within two Weeks after being bitten once with 7 teeth.

Ds2 bit me once, I told him "dont bite it hurts mummy, no more milk" then I put him down and walked away. He screamed and never bit me again.

Eta: I pt up with the biting for almost 3mths. I tried everything and then tried eveything again.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 16-08-2013 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Eeek sorry no advice here but I remember how painful that was. DD1 used to bite (only a few times, she seemed to learn pretty quickly not too but she was older than your DD when she did it) and the short sharp sudden pain is awful. My DS never bit me once, he respected the nipple lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My DS1 went through a biting stage for a few months when he was about 11 months old. I was saying no biting and taking him off the breast when he did it and he was laughing at me. I figured out that he always bit me when he was taking a break from a feed and would cut feeds short to avoid a bite. He eventually got the message that biting wasn't on (thank goodness as it hurt soooooo much) and hasn't done it again. He's still having 1-2 feeds a day at 19 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Yes. There are lots if different methods to curb biting and it can be a phase. Look at kellymom for info. I had to wean ds1. He got two teeth at 5mths and bit me every feed. He drew blood pretty much ever y time. I had many infections and even required antibiotics. At 7.5mths he got 5 more teeth(total of 7). I weaned him within two Weeks after being bitten once with 7 teeth.

Ds2 bit me once, I told him "dont bite it hurts mummy, no more milk" then I put him down and walked away. He screamed and never bit me again.
    Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub
    OWWWWW...........you poor thing that sounds so painful!

OP, biting has been a phase with my 2 (so far....though DS is only 9 mths so there might be more to come). I hope you can figure something out because biting is so painful while feeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter bit me for a few weeks when she got her first 2 teeth (at about 5 months I think). I would pull head in close straight away (opens the jaw more, and they can't bite down) and then either take her off or hold her in really close until she pulled off. I never said anything, but after a couple of weeks she stopped doing it.

There have been a couple of isolated incidents since (she's nearly 11 months and has 7 teeth), but I always use the same approach and it has worked quite well with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds went through a phase of biting and i felt exactly as you described. It made me want to wean as well but thankfully ds stopped. Like other pp have to say stop no biting. A couple of times I had to stick my pinky in ds mouth to get him to release, it was painful!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the pinky release plenty of times, and would take dd off the breast straight away and say "no more milk" and put her down on the floor. Not sure if it made any real difference but i felt like I had to do something.