+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transition from special school back to a state school

Hi everyone, I just wanted to see if any parents have had their child transferred from a special school back to a state school, what was the process? any advice would be great thanks. I am in QLD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My brother in law transitioned from an autism school to a state high for yr 11 & 12 best decision ever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not a child of mine, but I've been the teacher in the situation though. Just make sure you put them in with a good year group in terms of personalities, including tolerance and acceptance - and good communication with the teacher also works well. We had a separate IEP for the child of course and around 4 hours of an aide a week for some of English and Maths time. It depends on their special needs a little as to what would suit them in particular. Their report card was altered to report on their progress rather than comparing them to others too.

Setting up good routines was important, and an understanding of school rules, boundaries. First aim would be for them to feel comfortable and confident at school, meet other kids and learn routines, then go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi OP, I've been involved in many transition from special schools to main****** in primary ed. in Victoria. I can make some generalisations which wouldn't be state restrictive.

Some things which help transition:
    - collective and shared agreement on transition from schools, teachers and families
    - a structured and considered transition plan (child dependent these can last weeks or terms)
    - a half and half transition program - where the child gradually ups their days in main****** before going full time
    - on going assistance from the special school with the main****** in terms of managing all aspects of education eg: social, behavioural, academic
    - a main****** school setting which is suited to the child and has a good understanding of needs but also able to adequately work with the family and child for the best support

Things which hamper transition:
    - only one party is pushing for the transition and other parties disagree that it is in the best interests of the child
    - a rushed transition
    - the child having no understanding on why they are changing environments and was not ready either emotionally, socially or academically and being isolated and leading to poor self esteem and increased behaviours
    - poor communication between families and schools