+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Occasional care experiences with sensitive child

Keen to hear about other people's experiences using occasional care involving more sensitive children - basically is it worth it? Do you feel like your child benefitted from it?

DS turns 3 in October and has never been in daycare. We are involved in weekly activities like playgroup, music class, library story time, play dates with mates so he does get some interaction with other kids his age. He is quite happy to play with other kids but always has always been a little sensitive too. When other kids bump him at the park he'll cry and say 'Owww... that boy hurt me Mummy!' and then be really weary of the kid from that moment on. I've tried explaining to him time and time again that (usually) other kids don't mean to hurt him but accidents can and do just happen. It's starting to sink in a little bit but I guess I am keen for him to become a little more resilient and in a very gentle way, just help him get used to the ways of the big, bad world without me necessarily being beside him every minute...

Anyway, I recently found a local community house that runs occasional care from 9-12 so I have booked him into that one day per week. Today was his first day so I stayed for a little while to see how he went. He seemed fine so I left. When I came back he seemed happy enough too but they said he got upset at 2 points whilst I was gone 1. when another little boy attempted to take the truck off him that he was playing with 2. when that same little boy knocked him over outside (sounds as though it was a total accident). I am not surprised he got upset at these 2 points at all - in fact I almost expected it. I did feel struggle to hear that he was upset and I wasn't there to comfort him though. The carers were lovely and they said they were able to calm him down easily enough and reassured me that it's just normal stuff he'll get used to as time goes on. I hope so!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Just looking for some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing by him I guess. The thing is, I don't HAVE to send him to occasional care now, I can just wait till he starts pre-kinder in another 6 months time. But I am hoping this might just be agood first step for him. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi bitter pure, my DS is a sensitive little soul too. When we first started him in day care he was the same and did take a while to settle in. I suggest you persist with it, it sounds like he did pretty good for his first day. The only thing I would suggest is to make it regular as if your LO is like mine he probably needs routine and to know what day is kinda/ preschool day that is the same every week. I would also remind/ reassure DS each time that mummy was coming back soon to pick him up. My DS loves it now and has really blossomed with his confidence, social skills and is much more robust. He rarely cries unless he has really hurt himself. Xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks bel2466, your DS sounds very similar to mine. It is really lovely to hear how he has blossomed. You must be rapt and so proud of him.

I think we will persist with it and it will definitely be a regular weekly thing, he does love routine and knowing what's coming up each day. I really talked it up to him this week in the days prior and reminded him that I'd be going away for a little while and then coming back for him - I definitely think that reinforcing that helped him a lot too. Fingers crossed it turns into something he genuinely really enjoys.