+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Book Recommendations

I need some new books to read.

Here's what I tend to prefer:
    *Female Protagonist (or at least a female character who is quite a big part of the novel)
    *Set in a time other than now (Past, hypothetical future, some other land... whatever, just not NOW).
    *No ridiculous supernatural crap
    *No cheesy lame romance (there can be romance, but not like your standard cutesy-covered chick-lit rubbish)
    *I do quite like a bit of mildly dystopian stuff, but it's not essential
    *Well-written and easy enough to get into
    *Not really into humour (though occasional humour in an otherwise serious novel is fine)

Here's some that I've read and enjoyed...

Philippa Gregory's tudor court novels, and her cousin's war novels (though the most recent ones are a struggle to get through - too much war for me)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    The Red Tent
    Year of Wonders
    Hunger Games Trilogy
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Oryx and Crake... and The Year of the Flood (these are probably my favourites, along with The Other Boleyn Girl)
    Mistress of Rome
    The Book Theif
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B (and the second in the series too)
    The Help
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    The Handmaid's Tale

Currently on my bedside table is...
    Atonement
    some Karl Pilkington book for when I want to giggle
    Wolf Hall

I've tried the Cross-stitch series but am uninterested and same with the Clan of the Cavebear books... so not interested in those.

Also tried my hand at Jodi Piccoult and would rather sew my own eyelids shut.

But any recommendations would be greatly appreciated... at least I can google and see if they may be of interest to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you on goodreads?
    They have shelves for all different types of books, I mean everything from "the heroine in this book p!ssed me off" shelf and a "historical romance" to "single mums" to "alpha males" to "books I needed a bucket of water to cool me off" shelves.
    You can also join the forums and follow/talk to people who like your kind of books.
    I love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also if you put on goodreads the books you have read, it will automatically give you recommendations based on the books you have read

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I actually went to Goodreads so I could find my list of "read" books so I could add the better ones here.

It keeps recommending crap like Twilight though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I actually went to Goodreads so I could find my list of "read" books so I could add the better ones here.

It keeps recommending crap like Twilight though...
    LOL
    Yes that still comes up for me and I'm not into that kind of stuff, twilight fans seem to think because they loved it, it's should be everyone's cup of tea so they tag it in every shelf known.
    Also 50 shades seems to be a bit like that too (gag)

If your on your desk top it's a bit better than the mobile app.
    You can find things better.
    Or just type onto google 'books like *insert book* goodreads' and I find it easier to get to the shelves that way.
    It took me awhile to get into goodreads and to find my way around but now it's pretty easy and the amount of books I have found on there is crazy.
    This past year I have read 150 books, hubby has just put a ban on my amazon account as I was spending to much on my kindle and sending the credit card a bit broke

I'll try find some shelves I think you might like later on and ill post the link here for you to have a look.

I'm into a of a different genre than you but you sound the same as my husband so ill ask him for some recommendations (he is reading game of thrones at the moment and is loving it)
    I love Indie authors, the kind of books I like are more romance, some serious drama, oh and hot steamy s.ex.
    But my biggest thing is it has to be well written, ill read anything if the author can keep me hanging on their every written word.
    I don't like supernatural ones, but I found one not that long ago by accident and it blew me away!
    Hot alien sex! don't judge, it was extremely well written

Ill do some digging around on there later and see what I can find for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for all the mistakes, hope you understand half of it^
    I'm typing with a toddler hanging off me