+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I would imagine it would depend on whether the animal is stunned prior to having their throat cut. According to the RSPCA's website
    The only difference with halal slaughter is that it uses a reversible stunning method, while conventional humane slaughter uses an irreversible stunning method.
    It goes on to say
    Halal slaughter in overseas abattoirs often does not include stunning - this is the key difference between halal slaughter in Australia and many other countries.
    Ho
    wever, there are instances where the relevant Australian state or territory meat-inspection authority can approve an abattoir for ritual slaughter without prior stunning - either halal or kosher (Jewish slaughter) - for the domestic market. These are effectively exemptions to standard Australian slaughter practice. The proportion of animals slaughtered under these exemptions is very small, but nevertheless that any animals are slaughtered without stunning is of concern to the RSPCA.
    The RSPCA is strongly opposed to all forms of slaughter that do not involve prior stunning of the animal.
    The RSPCA policy on ritual slaughter is clear: slaughter without prior stunning is inhumane and completely unnecessary. The RSPCA is opposed to inhumane methods of killing and continues to promote this view to governments and the public.

So if we're talking about slaughter without stunning I'll stick with the RSPCA's line and be strongly opposed.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (17-08-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (18-08-2013),SoThisIsLove  (18-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They dont always die instantaneously though sometimes it's needed to be done a few times. Anyways everyone is entitled to their opinion. And whether or not you side with the rspca is up to you.

This thread was about allowing this pig halal meat not about is halal meat is humane or not. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone started a thread about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We really do need a thread about halal meat but I was too lazy. I have worked in abattoirs and killed many animals. All the abattoirs stunned first - some by a hit to the head (very very hard) and some by electrocution - this leaves the animal unconscious and they don't feel the cut to the throat. I have also cut an animals throat without stunning it - it was very ill and would have died an awful slow death if I didn't - and it is never as nice as if they are stunned first. I know people I work with refuse to eat kosher meat because the animal is never stunned whereas there are very few places in Australia that don't stun halal meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Animals smell and feel fear and regardless of how its killed imagine the fear it feels knowing its lining up about to die after seeing/smelling/hearing its friends and family who have already been slaughtered - I think any way an animal is slaughtered is gross and in regards to the prisoner in the OP he's lucky to be fed at all!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (18-08-2013),SoThisIsLove  (18-08-2013)