+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Myth busted

I'm sure the anti-circ crowd will not like to see this article in a main****** Australian newspaper, as it doesn't line up with their opinion based theories.

But evidence based research shows that, despite regular claims to the contrary, that there is no adverse effect on male sexual function.

"If anything the highest quality studies showed sex to be better for most men after they had been circumcised".

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226697860614

I will now assume that JohnC or another anti-circ regular will go straight for the ad hom attack on the author.... standing by.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Do you know where we can find the study itself? I'd love to see if the males reporting before and afters had circ for medical reasons, and how long after circ they reported the difference for.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Hulahoop  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would like to see the actual study.
    Mainly because I imagine the number of sexually active men getting circed prob had some kind of medical issue prior (as opposed to doing it for cosmetic reasons) that may have interfered with sexual pleasure, so naturally post circ (and therefore post medical issue) sex would be more pleasurable. Given that the vast majority of circumcisions are performed on infants I don't see how they could confirm whether or not sex was better before or after for them, iykwim.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (15-08-2013),lones  (18-08-2013)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please remember this is the PRO-CIRC section, if you would like to debate this topic please feel free to start another thread in the DISCUSS IT section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    Please remember this is the PRO-CIRC section, if you would like to debate this topic please feel free to start another thread in the DISCUSS IT section.
    Ah sorry, didn't notice. Esp as the OP seemed to be inviting anti-circ members to "discuss" when he said he was standing by for JohnC etc. Perhaps this thread should be moved?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (15-08-2013),Mathermy  (30-08-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    No one can debate or discuss this though because of where you've chosen to post it, OP. Not that I'd bother but why not post in the discuss it area so people can share their opinions on the article?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (15-08-2013),just her chameleon  (15-08-2013),Mathermy  (30-08-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't know why my post was removed? It wasn't rude in any way whatsoever!

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know why my post was removed? It wasn't rude in any way whatsoever!
    This is the PRO section ... nothing to do with your post being rude, but the section for which this thread is in.

For those who suggested moving the thread, if OP would like the thread moved I am happy to do so, otherwise please remember this is the PRO section and not the Discuss It section.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If anyone is interested, the original study is available through Wiley Online Library here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...12293/abstract

I was able to access the document through the Uni library and had a quick read. The authors are Brian Morris and John Krieger and it's a literature review of 33* previously published journal articles.

For those who have access, I'd suggest reading the literature review directly instead of the Daily Telegraph article.

---------------------
    *The Daily Telegraph article states 2,675 however the final number of studies examined was 33.

"Searches identified 2,675 publications describing the effects of male circumcision on aspects of male sexual function, sensitivity, sensation, or satisfaction. Of these, 36 met our inclusion criteria of containing original data [3 were then removed for various reasons].
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 04-09-2013 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    "If anything the highest quality studies showed sex to be better for most men after they had been circumcised".

I will now assume that JohnC or another anti-circ regular will go straight for the ad hom attack on the author.... standing by.
    I'm sorry I can't oblige there. However, it should come as no surprise that most adult men who opt for circumcision report improved experience after the procedure. After all, they were probably experiencing some penile problem (phimosis, frenulum breve) sufficiently aggravating to make them seek out a circumcision, which presumably fixed that problem.

Just on the Telegraph article itself, Morris is cited as saying:
    He said in Australia about 10 per cent to 12 per cent of boys under five years old were now circumcised each year.
    This is actually an underestimate on the most recently available Medicare data (2011-12), which showed 14%. (The Medicare figures for 2012-13 are available, but the population data needed to calculate a rate won't be released by the ABS until late December.)

The article went on:
    But the rates of circumcision varied wildly between states, with "virtually none being circumcised" in Tasmania, about 25 per cent to 30 per cent in NSW, while in Queensland about 50 per cent had their foreskins removed.
    Correct on Tasmania (2.4% actually), but NSW was 19.1% and Queensland 14.1%.

Perhaps the reporter just misunderstood what Morris was saying.
    Last edited by JohnC; 30-08-2013 at 11:57.