+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I have technically "reneged" as we always planned on having two. But I don't really see how that's a factor as before we had kids we had no idea how it would go and how we would feel about it. How could you?
    I think it is a factor because if he had originally agreed to four then changed his mind he would be feeling differently than if he wasn't expecting this to happen. Does that make sense? I agree though, you do never know until it happens :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is such a hard situation for you and your hubby, I have been exactly where you are. My DH and I had three, he reneged on the third. I really wanted the fourth but he was like no way. We argued for two years about it then I gave up. I found it unfair and frustrating that it was practically his decision. He kept saying he understood my feelings but I'm not sure men do understand crazy clucky feelings, they don't get that you can't function without thinking about it. Anyways in all of this I was diagnosed with PCOS and was told I could have no more children. They were wrong! We became slack with contraception and fell pg about 2 months after.
    My DH has not for one minute blamed me or resented our little girl. He had a Vasectomy done 5 years ago which has been reversed today as we are planning #5....my point being time has helped my DH, having the 3 so close was very full on for him, but the bigger gap between 3-4 was manageable.
    Maybe you could discuss when you might want to do it and maybe give him some time? I feel for you, as his wife you don't want to pressure him but you also want him to respect your feelings too. Good luck luv xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify I was never the one to threaten divorce dh did that. And while preg with our third dh had agreed to a 4th, so was the one to reneg. I have made it known to him for quite a while now that I wanted a 4th, and when I sat him down to discuss it, is when he said no more. It feels like... Why should I give in, it's my life too. Which I am sure he is probably thinking as well. This whole thing is such a mess, I just don't know where it will end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bottom line is regardless of how you feel you can't plan to bring a child into this world unless both parents want it. You either need to 1) see a counsellor about how to otherwise fulfill your life. 2) divorce 3). Give hubby time and hope he changes his mind.

Good luck.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

kw123  (16-08-2013),lovesushi  (16-08-2013),Meld85  (20-08-2013),Pesca77  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you are both coming from two different perspectives which is a tough gap to bridge, you - yearning for more children, him - burden of being the bread winner/wanting to provide for his family. There is an incredible amount of pressure on men in single income families to provide for their family. Maybe he has a certain lifestyle in mind & a fourth child would compromise that?
    Maybe if you can develop some kind of financial plan for the next 5-10 years, taking into consideration his concerns, but also a fourth child you will both be satisfied?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi FallenAngel, it's such a tricky situation whatever it turns out, one of you may resent the other and it will affect your 3 children which i don't think is fair for them. Just my opinion, the desire, the urge of having another child is a good start but I think both parents need to sit down and specifically talk about pros and cons. "I just really want it/ don't want it" for me is not specific enough, maybe try to think about what another bub can bring to your family, apparently a happier mum, a friend for the youngest to play with, enough room to share etc. Get your DH to be more specific about financial stress and address his concerns, work out a long term budget with him. 150k may sound a lot but is it before or after tax, is it enough for private education + extra curriculum for all 4 kids, is it enough to maintain a lifestyle that you both want like only buy organic products, eat out, travel...? I think ideally both parents need feel ready physically, financially, emotionally and put the benefits of the children they already have had first before conceiving another child. If one parent is not ready it's better to be put on hold and get counseling help if needed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (20-08-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel14 View Post
    Just to clarify I was never the one to threaten divorce dh did that. And while preg with our third dh had agreed to a 4th, so was the one to reneg. I have made it known to him for quite a while now that I wanted a 4th, and when I sat him down to discuss it, is when he said no more. It feels like... Why should I give in, it's my life too. Which I am sure he is probably thinking as well. This whole thing is such a mess, I just don't know where it will end
    I hope my mention of reneging hasn't offended you in some way. I was speculating about it as it might have given some insight into his feelings. Given that he has changed his mind, I can see how you are so upset. Is there any clue that he is having trouble coping with three children? I know that the pressure to be the breadwinner can be immense, but is there another factor at play here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel14 View Post
    I think the fact he agreed for a 4th child and then states he only wants 3 is why you could be so adamant for a 4th too, because he has already partly given you false hope. I wouldn't call it false hope if he had had said no to a 4th the whole time.

Obviously with you being in tears and not talking for days isn't helping the situation or your marriage. I'd suggest some counselling.

What happens if you did say have a 4th and then still wanted more? Will your fulfilment really end at 4? It's one if those never know situations.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried talking to him to see if there is a bigger issue but it seems to come down to just financial. I don't know what we are going to do. I told him last night my reasons for wanting a 4th, and what I though of his saying that id need to find a new partner, plus some other things on the subject. I also mentioned that a marriage is about compromise, and to keep that in mind for the future (as its likely that he will be given a national management position in the next 12-18 months which will require him to travel 3wks out of every month which I made clear I wouldn't agree to). Probably sounds selfish and a bit tit for tat. The ball is now in his court to think everything over. Also 4 children is defiantly my limit due to medical reasons. I will most likely end up with a hysterectomy after having #4

Thanks
    Reviews
    as soon as divorce is mentions i think couples councilling is a wonderful idea, maybe then you can have these convo's in the sanctity of the councilers office...