+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Jennaisme, I keep flipping in and out on how I feel with this and I do really see where you're coming from, a couple of days ago or yesterday I posted something kinda similar because I just could not get past the horror these children endured, after reading a post about it I could only feel for them at that point.

But I also think, if we only see the children as the victims, then we as a society will fail to learn from this. Which means we will continue to fail those with mental illness and then in turn we fail those who are the victims of those with mental illness.

It takes a village to raise a child, we need to strengthen, tighten and ultimately embrace the notion of collective responsibility for the welfare of children in our communities.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (17-08-2013),sakabla  (18-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Jennaisme, I keep flipping in and out on how I feel with this and I do really see where you're coming from, a couple of days ago or yesterday I posted something kinda similar because I just could not get past the horror these children endured, after reading a post about it I could only feel for them at that point.

But I also think, if we only see the children as the victims, then we as a society will fail to learn from this. Which means we will continue to fail those with mental illness and then in turn we fail those who are the victims of those with mental illness.

It takes a village to raise a child, we need to strengthen, tighten and ultimately embrace the notion of collective responsibility for the welfare of children in our communities.

Yes yes yes. you have put it so well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    [/B]Yes yes yes. you have put it so well.
    It has taken me several days to get to this point, truly I have struggled with this case a lot. I want to blame someone, I want to be able to say it happened because someone was a horrible person, I want a villian, but I really don't think this is actually how it is for this situation.

I think for me to get to here I've had to realise that we can't neatly put blame on a person because we see them as the "perpetrator" of the horror. That something has broken in our systems and we need to fix that. If we don't then it becomes too easy to put blame on others and forget about it, rather than look deeply at what went wrong here and look for solutions at the root rather than a punitive measure when it's too late.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (17-08-2013),beebs  (17-08-2013),onionskin  (17-08-2013),~Marigold~  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The hubby should be thrown in jail too, he is a disgrace.
    From what I've read he plead guilty to manslaughter as well and will be sentenced in September, so I don't think there is any suggestion that he is getting away with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    J
    Yes Child abuse is everyone's problem and their business. Think about DV. Only 2 or 3 decades ago it was a hidden problem. People minded their own business, said nothing. Now more and more people are charging their perpetrators, society refuses to accept it's ok and it's seen as a societal problem. This is where child abuse needs to be. I think we fear being wrong. That they will cause turmoil for notifying. But IME people are rarely wrong in their suspicions of child abuse.