+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Isn't everyone on here part of the 'outside world?' With the stigma of mental illness throughout society on the constant need to be perfect in our lives, I don't find it surprising that people turn to an anonymous forum for support, to vent and to ask questions they're to scared to ask in person.
    I agree, I don't think it is a higher percent - but I think because we are anon - we are more open about it. I talk about it on here - in real life, my closest friends and family know what I was like. But I don't go around telling everyone else that I meet. I still feel the stigma very deeply - and I want to talk about it, and want to share etc, but I can't help feeling ashamed of it.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Did something inside the father break, too? To have his paternal instincts and rationale completely evaporate even to the point of ignoring requests from his MIL to check on his children, he still didn't. He lived in the house and failed his children as horrendously.

I have understanding of severe mental health issues. Understanding but not compassion after someone dies. Up until the point they kill someone I have understanding and compassion and empathy and sympathy and do all I can to help them. But then they are responsible for the death of someone due to that and it ends. I have compassion for their victims, for the lives destroyed by them. I have understanding of what the victims have to live with, compassion in abundance to the point my heart breaks for them.

Everyone has their line. Theres mine.

I understand why people find it easier to feel compassion for the mother and her mental issues over the father. PND is a mental illness women primarilly are affected by and suffer from. I believe there should be more done to catch the early warning signs, help these people who ask for help and noticing the people who are too ashamed to ask for it and offering it to them. I have compassion for them and I understand your mental state deteriorating to the point where killing a child in your care is actually a very real, and almost followed through with, possibility. And up until the point where you actually kill a child, I have all the compassion and understanding in the world.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I don't know. Maybe he just didn't give a fck. Did he reach out/ask for help? Was he suffering fro PND also? I don't know. There are situations where parenting is just lacking, where kids are neglected etc because of bad parenting... this particular mother locked those babies in a room, closed her mind off to their existence and was somehow able to function (barely, by the reports I've read) as in her head they were somewhat OK. There's the problem right there, she was so deluded and mentaly unstable that she could not comprehend that she was slowly but surely killing them.
    You hear stories about mothers killing their kids, willingly and sadistically. I don't get/feel that with this particular case. By all accounts it was competely out of character for her to neglect those kids.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

And that husband, he lived in the same house and didn't ever see the twins in months - didn't enquire about them. I would say less mental illness (after all - he still had the capability to go to the pub boozing and gambling) and more selfish. He should be dragged through the coals - he is every bit as much to blame, I find it interesting that everyone is focussing on the mother - he is their parents just as much as she is.
    The hubby should be thrown in jail too, he is a disgrace.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I come to the forum for lots of reasons. for a laugh. Mainly these days for support in my ttc groups that are my life line bc no one IRL understands or has experienced LTTC. I come here to debate and have my mind keep ticking. I don't have a mental illness, not bored. I have a house to run and I'm doing a demanding course. Lately there haven't been enough hours in the day let alone having nothing to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It takes a village to raise a child, where in the world was this village - this is the bit I am completely struggling with. I get missing a few appointments and falling under the radar. I don't get months of food deprivation, being locked away from the world and starvation and nobody noticing, I can not reconcile how this has happened.

There was a father, mother and grandmother - all in the house, all having responsibility for the children - why has the accountability been placed on only one person to ensure the welfare on these children? Especially when that person could not even ensure their own welfare.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),~Marigold~  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree babyla. I far from condone her actions, and while I accept she may have had a MI I still struggle to understand how she let this happen. But.... the child had a father? and other family members? if she did in fact have a MI, I hold him more responsible than her. If I completely collapsed mentally, DH would pick up the slack and get me help. End of story.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),onionskin  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I agree babyla. I far from condone her actions, and while I accept she may have had a MI I still struggle to understand how she let this happen. But.... the child had a father? and other family members? if she did in fact have a MI, I hold him more responsible than her. If I completely collapsed mentally, DH would pick up the slack and get me help. End of story.
    From all the media, it would seem they were a broken family. Generationally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The father also locked those babies in a room, ignored their cries, ignored his daughter telling her parents they needed to feed the kids, ignored his mother in law.
    This is also not the actions of someone who has no mental illness.

I have no compassion for either. If someone is happy to feel compassion for a mother, compassion and understanding due to her having PND, then why does the father just not give a fck? Why can't he also be suffering a mental illness??

Alcoholism is a serious mental illness. Very serious. It alters people, affects their ability to function, think rationally. It alters peoples perception of reality.

Even if he wasn't suffering alcoholism his actions are still not the actions of a mentally stable person, even one who admits to being a **** poor father. He let two babies starve to death in his home.

I will not accept mental illness for that. The mother knew she wasnt feeding her babies enough. In an interview she said she thought her husband was doing it. So she knew it wasnt right. The father had his mother in law ask him to check on the babies and he never did.

The daughter, their eleven year old child, begged them to feed her siblings. And still they didn't listen. They knew they were starving their children. They were told. Repeatedly. And they chose to ignore it. They have a mental illness, yes.

But the mistreatment and neglect didnt end when the babies dies but continued after. And the affects of it will continue for a very long time still. I hope the little girl gets help, a lot of help. But to think that an 11 year old wont end up with at the least PTSD from this is laughable at best. The long term affects I dont think any of us can even begin to grasp.

Can I show compassion for either of those parents for what they did? No. I don't think I ever can.

There are so many people on these forums who live with mental illness every single day. Me included. I will never be able to forgive my family for the part they played in the causation of mine. Its horrendous. Its a constant torture, being terrified of yourself. Being too afraid some days to go to sleep or to even get out of bed, to go near things you can use to injur yourself or others. To be so scared of just hearing someone talk, because you're terrified the next thing they say will inadvettantly trigger an "episode".
    Im pregnant. And every day im actually terrified of being a mum. Of being predisposed to PND, of knowing that one of my triggers is lack of sleep. Im terrified of myself, of the idea I could ever hurt my daughter, to the point ive made my DF promise if he even suspects im about to snap to take our daughter and leave then and there. No ultimatums, no warnings, nothing, just go to keep her safe. Its all I can do. Its terrifying thinking that despite how much you would do to keep your children safe, you would be the one they need protection from.

So can I ever show compassion for a mother who has possibly now set her daughter up for a life of this? No. I can't. Its a living torture every single day that I cant do anything about. I feel compassion for her daughter. I want to reach out and hug her and shield her from her own mind, from the nightmares, from the guilt. And that I can't do. I want to tell her it will be okay, it'll all be okay, she'll be okay. But I cant do that either, even if I knew who she was, because its not true. I can't look at her and tell her I feel compassion for her mum or her dad, because of mental illness she is now in for such a hard life that just trying to imagine it makes me breathless and my heart ache for her.

My own nightmares are horrendous enough. I dont even want to think what hers would be like, or the drugs they'd have to give her just so she can sleep.

The only victims I can see in this case are the children. The mother and father stopped being victims when they killed their children and robbed another of a normal, happy life.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (17-08-2013),onionskin  (17-08-2013),VicPark  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    The only victims I can see in this case are the children. The mother and father stopped being victims when they killed their children and robbed another of a normal, happy life.

There are so many cases throughout history of women with PND hurting their children, or victims turning into abusers etc. I personally just don't think it is as simple as as soon as they let those kids die that is it. I feel like, this whole thing could have been prevented if someone had intervened, it is such a tragedy that no one did.

I am sorry you have had a hard time, it must be awful - and obviously this awful tragedy is bringing it back for you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also feel differently about this case - do you remember the couple who started their 7 year old to death - In Hawksnest I think, had her locked in a room, she could only baby talk because they never talked to her etc. Anyhow - I felt no sadness or empathy for that couple. It was quite clear they just didn't like their daughter and wanted her dead, you could see it the way they talked in interviews. I just feel this is a different thing.