+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think the length her prison sentence is going to have any impact at all on other people who may starve their children to death. People don't decide *not* to starve their kids because they might go to jail, or decide that its worth it coz she only got 8 years!

I agree that Bayly is a completely different kettle of fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I honestly do not care, at this point, whether or not she was mentally ill. I have a LOT of empathy of people with mental illness, and in threads over the years, I've defended mothers who've killed their kids... but this is different IMO. It's not a moment of "snapping," and drowing your kids in a bath, a murder-suicide, driving into a river or pushing them off a bridge. It's starving them for a LONG TIME. It's TWO PARENTS who completely ignored their children's needs... for a long time... until they died.

They both weighed less at 18 months of age than my DD did at birth. That's freaking disgusting... and I do not give an ounce of crap about either of their mental illnesses or whatnot... they both deserve life in prison and only supervised visitation to their surviving children if those children want those visits.

Apart from that - they deserve to be locked up for good.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (16-08-2013),cassieh  (16-08-2013),Mokeybear  (17-09-2013),Patience Belmont  (16-08-2013),peanutmonkey  (16-08-2013),VicPark  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to re-post the links for info on PND and post-natal psychosis:

Postpartum psychosis: http://www.panda.org.au/practical-in...rtum-psychosis

PND: http://www.panda.org.au/practical-in...tal-depression

Antenatal depression: http://www.panda.org.au/practical-in...tal-depression

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't think the length her prison sentence is going to have any impact at all on other people who may starve their children to death. People don't decide *not* to starve their kids because they might go to jail, or decide that its worth it coz she only got 8 years!

I agree that Bayly is a completely different kettle of fish.
    Very true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I honestly do not care, at this point, whether or not she was mentally ill. I have a LOT of empathy of people with mental illness, and in threads over the years, I've defended mothers who've killed their kids... but this is different IMO. It's not a moment of "snapping," and drowing your kids in a bath, a murder-suicide, driving into a river or pushing them off a bridge. It's starving them for a LONG TIME. It's TWO PARENTS who completely ignored their children's needs... for a long time... until they died.

They both weighed less at 18 months of age than my DD did at birth. That's freaking disgusting... and I do not give an ounce of crap about either of their mental illnesses or whatnot... they both deserve life in prison and only supervised visitation to their surviving children if those children want those visits.

Apart from that - they deserve to be locked up for good.
    I do know what you are saying here sassy. It is really horrific and odd that nobody around them did anything for something that went on for an extended period of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What Im reading on BH: which makes me think: it is a rather narrow slither of society represented on BH (mums, many of who are either bored, lonely, have free time to spare and/or are probably predisposed to mental problems). The majority of BH readers are probably predisposed to have values and experiences that make them empathise with a mother who has killed her kids.
    probably predisposed to mental problems? Predisposed to have values that make them empathise with a mother who has killed her kids?? What exactly predisposes one to that!!

Things are often polarised on here but yes, we are a community of parents, mainly mums, and we are (for the most part) well educated on PND (going off this thread and other recent ones) but I don't think that means we are predisposed to "mental problems"- you don't have to be, to have empathy. I abhor what this mother did. I can barely read about it, it breaks my heart. But that doesn't mean I can't feel empathy for her- if she did this in part because of PND or a personality disorder, but is "well" enough to be held responsible, then I imagine she must live with this every day for the rest of her life. It may be that she deserves that. That makes it no less horrible in my mind.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),Kirst33  (16-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (16-08-2013),~Marigold~  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Of course it was horrific. Of course children are a blessing, I have five amazing blessings. I also have mental illness and always have. I am incredibly lucky and privileged to have amazing support around me. I don't know where id be without it.

I will never, ever support forced medical procedures. Never. Especially something as full on as a hysterectomy.
    And that is totally your opinion. If not a hysterectomy some long term form of birth control, I believe she should never ever be able to have children again, don't care which way it is done just aslong as she can never possibly harm another baby again

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    It seems quite often that people who have compassion are seen to be saying that the crime is 'ok.' It's not that AT ALL. I'm pretty sure everyone is equally appalled and saddened by what those children had to go through. Having compassion and or trying to understand the way people's minds fail them does not automatically mean that that person supports horrific crime!
    Totally. I have huge compassion for sufferers of mental illness, but I do no support the committing if crime. When I read this stories about people with mental illnesses that in hindsight seem so damned obvious, I wonder who was helping this mum? Who was helping these kids? Why did her support network ignore such obvious symptoms? I still do understand and believe that those involved have to face consequences.

RipperRita said something ages ago, about supporting the person but not supporting the actions of that person. It reminds me of an old churchie quote "hate the sin but not the sinner".

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    Forced to be able to NEVER EVER have children again. A child is a blessing and she killed 2 of hers so yes I believe she should never be able to. What she did was horrific
    I totally understand why you feel this way, even though I personally don't agree. When I think about how her children suffered, I really get why you feel this way.

Forced sterilisation however. That's opening a massive can of worms!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=risfaerie;7394683]I totally understand why you feel this way, even though I personally don't agree. When I think about how her children suffered, I really get why you feel this way.

Forced sterilisation however. That's opening a massive can of worms!
    Im not meaning to open a can of worms, just my opinion. I also think that men who molest children/women/men should be castrated too. and as I said, not necessarily a hysterectomy, long term birth control, something to ensure she can never have babies again

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (16-08-2013),VicPark  (16-08-2013)