+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    The parents hadn't separated Shell, he was at the house every day, well, at the tavern, and gambling a lot apparently...
    He is disgusting, I hope he rots in jail

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree with what you're saying. I meant that strangers on BH showing compassion or judgement will not make a difference to the lady in the story. Unless she has unfiltered Internet access in prison (which I would not be happy with).

I agree show compassion and help someone up to the point where they kill their kids. I get what you're saying about after the fact but one could also say that if too much leniency is given when someone kills another person, that won't deter future killings (if people don't face consequences and judgement then why not kill).
    I came in late and didn't read every single post in this thread before commenting, but I'm not sure anyone is saying to show her leniency. I think a lot of us, especially those that have suffered depression or PND are trying to help others empathize and understand where this all went wrong and not have this attitude of 'why didn't she help herself', 'she's a disgusting person because she didn't', and comments of not understanding how or why somebody is depressed in the first place. Understanding what happened will bring awareness to PND and post-natal psychosis and with awareness and compassion comes early intervention for others.

Many women, especially those who have no experience with depression, are incredibly ashamed and embarrassed about how they feel and of the thoughts that go through their minds. And like I've explained before, once it progresses far enough that they are harming their children it is no longer PND but Post-natal Psychosis, which means they've completely lost touch with reality.

When a woman harms herself or her children due to PND or post-natal psychosis it is something completely out of character for her. With awareness and intervention we can help women not get that sick, not get to that point.

Somebody like Adrian Bailey was violent for years, his crime was not out of character. I'm sure there are stages in his life where the system failed and his life or his victims could have been completely different. But I haven't heard he has had a mental illness, I'm sure his lawyers would have looked extensively into that for a defense for him if he did.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 16-08-2013 at 10:09.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (16-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (16-08-2013),RastaMouse  (16-08-2013),RipperRita  (16-08-2013),risfaerie  (16-08-2013),sakabla  (16-08-2013),~Marigold~  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am trying so hard to feel sorry for this woman, even just a little bit...but I just can't.

All I can think about is that those poor babies were neglected for such a long time before their little bodies finally gave up.

They were only 18 months old. They needed to be looked after, cared for, loved. Instead they were ignored, neglected and left to die. They were precious children, but they were treated like insignificant items of trash. And to top it all off, these parents allowed an 11 year old sibling to discover their bodies after they had been dead - for a week.

I wish someone had the balls to intervene at the time and help these little people before it was all too late

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (16-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (16-08-2013),RandR  (16-08-2013),VicPark  (16-08-2013),Zabella  (16-08-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    VP, I do understand what you're saying to some extent. I have suffered from depression to varying degrees for my whole life, and my first thought upon reading this article was she was clearly mentally unwell. I do struggle with some elements of this particular case, I admit, but that's a separate post I guess.

The issue I have is that you are applying standards of behaviour (ie seeking help, seeking other support if your first person dismisses you) that apply to someone with a healthy brain. It's not an even playing field when you are talking about someone with an unwell brain. Yes, when you have a healthy brain, and you have a broken ankle, it's obvious that you need to go to the doctor and get it fixed. It's also obvious to everyone else. When your brain is unhealthy, you often can't see it, it happens so gradually. Or maybe you don't have time to think about yourself so you don't notice the gradual changes in your mood and behaviour. Or you have six kids so you put it down to other causes. Unlike a broken ankle, it's not so obvious to everyone else.

I know you're not an idiot so I'm sure you understand all that. And I do believe having read a lot of your posts that you actually do possess a lot of compassion. I agree that this case shouldn't have happened. I understand that it's impossible to see how anyone could harm their own child, let alone in the horrific way that this occurred.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (16-08-2013),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (16-08-2013),VicPark  (16-08-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    I am trying so hard to feel sorry for this woman, even just a little bit...but I just can't.

All I can think about is that those poor babies were neglected for such a long time before their little bodies finally gave up.

They were only 18 months old. They needed to be looked after, cared for, loved. Instead they were ignored, neglected and left to die. They were precious children, but they were treated like insignificant items of trash. And to top it all off, these parents allowed an 11 year old sibling to discover their bodies after they had been dead - for a week.

I wish someone had the balls to intervene at the time and help these little people before it was all too late
    This is basically how I feel. I think the sadness for me comes from the fact that it feels like it was so preventable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't realize she only got five years... I'm not sure what I think of that, but I often think Australia is too lenient with their sentencing. There was a woman who murdered her five children in Texas about 10 years ago, she had post-natal psychosis. She first was convicted of capital murder and then a couple years later at an appeal found not guilty by reason of insanity and transferred to a high security mental hospital, she's now in a lower security mental hospital. I'm not sure when or if they anticipate releasing her but I think that is fair.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

The father, disgusting. Imagine how different this all would have turned out if he had taken the time for his children, who he lived with. How do you live with your children and not see them for weeks?! Uncaring, lazy, so many more adjectives. I think I read they were separated but he was still living in the house, which maybe explains why he didn't care if his wife was deteriorating.

I think Rita's comparison of this case to the father that threw his daughter off the Westgate is a better comparison than Bailey. And I felt the same as you Rita, the fact that he immediately drove himself to a security guard at the family courts and asked him to take his children showed to me that he had had a psychotic break in that moment.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 16-08-2013 at 10:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    I feel so sad for those babies that were starved to death and sorry for their little sister who will have to live every day knowing her mother and father killed her siblings. I feel anger towards the father, his excuse was **** poor and even if they had separated not seeing your child for months is pathetic. I think the prison term should be so much longer, yes she had a severe mental illness but she tortured her children over a long period of time and 5 years isn't enough. What was she diagnosed with? Is she medicated now? If she is realesed I think she should be given a hysterectomy and NEVER allowed to have anymore children
    You believe that humans should be able to be forced to have their body parts removed? I find that horrific

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    You believe that humans should be able to be forced to have their body parts removed? I find that horrific
    Forced to be able to NEVER EVER have children again. A child is a blessing and she killed 2 of hers so yes I believe she should never be able to. What she did was horrific

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It seems quite often that people who have compassion are seen to be saying that the crime is 'ok.' It's not that AT ALL. I'm pretty sure everyone is equally appalled and saddened by what those children had to go through. Having compassion and or trying to understand the way people's minds fail them does not automatically mean that that person supports horrific crime!

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-08-2013),beebs  (17-08-2013),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (16-08-2013),Kirst33  (16-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (16-08-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (16-08-2013),risfaerie  (16-08-2013),sakabla  (16-08-2013),~Marigold~  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    Forced to be able to NEVER EVER have children again. A child is a blessing and she killed 2 of hers so yes I believe she should never be able to. What she did was horrific
    Of course it was horrific. Of course children are a blessing, I have five amazing blessings. I also have mental illness and always have. I am incredibly lucky and privileged to have amazing support around me. I don't know where id be without it.

I will never, ever support forced medical procedures. Never. Especially something as full on as a hysterectomy.