+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a sad story, and such a failure to protect those children. I can only imagine the desperate situation that mother found herself in.
    I have extensive experience with mental illness, personally and professionally, and it is something that can be difficult to understand if you have never experienced it. Tragically sometimes mental illness is a terminal disease, even more tragically it is sometimes fatal for people around the mentally ill. The resources and facilities available for mental illness in Australia are a disgrace, and are not even adequate to deal with the most desperate, most serious cases let alone prevention and support.
    Please, if you are ever in need if help, find that one person in your life who can be your advocate (partner, mother etc) and tell them everything. They will need to fight for you, and sometimes it is just too late, and too hard for you to do all the fighting for what you need yourself.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-08-2013),RandR  (16-08-2013),RipperRita  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post

I guess the bottom line for me is that anger and judgement will help nobody. Not the person casting the judgement, not the perpetrator and certainly not the deceased victims.

I just don't get it. We all feel distraught about what those babies went through but that is not mutually exclusive with an effort to understand just how a mother could do such a thing.
    I agree judgement from strangers will help no one. Neither will compassion though.

Please do not confuse me not caring about the mother with me not understanding how the mother could so such a thing. I understand, I just don't care.

How we feel about this is about how we process things, values we have and probably a bit of our upbringing too. For me, I understand what the mother has probably gone through but it's like my brains has told my heart to not give a $hit.And I'm OK with that. Im not sure why but im a very scientific facts based person. Im not very touchy feely and I dont believe in religion either (no proof).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it needs to be realized that usually when a woman reaches the point of harming her children she has usually gone from PND to post-natal psychosis. Which means she has completely lost touch with reality.

I am someone who has suffered from depression and also severe antenatal depression in my last pregnancy. After loosing our daughter last year I am also in danger of PND after this pregnancy (so far so good no antenatal depression yet). It's weird but I almost consider myself lucky with my history of depression because I already have a support system and tools in place for myself if I do end up with PND. But I am absolutely petrified of my possible state of mind in the coming months.

MANY women with PND have never experienced depression or mental illness before, they don't know they need help or how to help themselves. It's so easy for those who have never experienced mental illness before to say 'why didn't they get help?' When I first got hit with depression it took me a year to realize or be able to enable myself to get help and although family and friends knew something was wrong nobody thought I needed help. I can remember my mom (who has battled depression herself) saying that she wasn't worried about me because I was still getting up for work and putting makeup on (I was also sometimes trying to get up the nerve to commit suicide on these days as well). But hey, I was doing my makeup so I must have been ok! The more severe your depression gets, the harder it is to get help. You are in such a dark hole it is almost impossible/is impossible to climb out and get or ask for help, to know you can be helped.

Info on PND http://www.panda.org.au/practical-in...tal-depression

Info on post-natal psychosis http://www.panda.org.au/practical-in...rtum-psychosis

I am familiar with this story but can't bring myself to read the links as when I did read about it a few weeks ago it upset me too much. It's a tragedy. My understanding of manslaughter (voluntary) is that it is acknowledged that the defendant lost control (mental illness considered), involuntary means they never intended to cause harm. Both these verdicts to me would mean they considered and believed she had a mental illness that caused this to happen.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 15-08-2013 at 21:50.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm really struggling with how the system has failed the children and the mother. What went wrong here? How does this happen over a prolonged length of time?

The debate needs to be around early intervention and education on what pnd looks like and why something so horrific like this has occurred in our society regardless of mental illness or no mental illness, how did our systems fall down to allow this happen?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-08-2013),kw123  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I just don't understand it nor can I comprehend how people can feel so unhappy and get into a depressive state.
    It's called mental illness, because it is an "illness", do you also not understand how people can get cancer, glandular fever or the flu?

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (15-08-2013),BigRedV  (15-08-2013),GlitterFarts  (15-08-2013),Mathermy  (16-08-2013),peanutmonkey  (15-08-2013),Tainted  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm really struggling with how the system has failed the children and the mother. What went wrong here? How does this happen over a prolonged length of time?
    I don't think the system failed here, the husband and extended family did. Child protection can only act when it has a notification. Counsellors can only help when an appointment is booked. The family knew something was going on and did nothing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-08-2013),RandR  (16-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This attitude of 'I don't care about the mother once she hurts her children' and 'I don't understand how somebody would not get help.' - How does this help educate and spread awareness about post-natal depression and psychosis? This attitude is what makes so many women petrified about being open about some of the thoughts that enter their minds when their suffering from mental illness.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-08-2013),beebs  (15-08-2013),Mathermy  (16-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (16-08-2013),mumwannabe  (15-08-2013),peanutmonkey  (15-08-2013),RastaMouse  (16-08-2013),RipperRita  (15-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think the system failed here, the husband and extended family did. Child protection can only act when it has a notification. Counsellors can only help when an appointment is booked. The family knew something was going on and did nothing.
    Thanks - that's the part I've been missing, I guess when I say system I'm meaning families, agencies, gps', mchn, etc.. anyone that would be involved with the family over that long period of time.

That must mean that they are also culpable if they had knowledge of what was occuring? This is the first I've heard about this case and there was really limited info in the article so unsure about details like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, the system only works when people report their concerns, but I wonder about their GP, and more importantly their Maternal Health Nurse. They just seem to have slipped through the net somehow....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    Yes, the system only works when people report their concerns, but I wonder about their GP, and more importantly their Maternal Health Nurse. They just seem to have slipped through the net somehow....
    This is what I'm grappling with, surely they had contact with mchn, gps etc over this time....