+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How often does your 9mth old breastfeed?

As the title reads, how often does your 9 mth old feed in a 24hr period?

As background: On Tuesday night I developed mastitis, and because it was after hours I saw a GP at a different clinic to normal. After asking how old my son is (9mths) and how often he feeds (about 6 times in a 24hr period) I was told he should only be having 3 breastfeeds per 24hours at this age. Not impressed with unwanted advice unrelated to why I went to the GP in the first place!!

Although I don't plan on changing anything, and am not concerned at all it did get me wondering about what is average for this age. 3 feeds seems so little to me (but obviously they are all different)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds also breasted more than the "guidelines" when he was under one, probably around 6-7 times as well. But he was eating pretty well for his age and keen to taste different foods, so I wasn't fussed. He is 14 months now and still drinks more milk than recommended but again I'm not worried. He eats really well and drinks after his meals, he is growing and developing fine.

I know that other mums are very strict about what is recommended my the mch nurse, but I just don't believe in being strict about anything. Specially rules that are meant to apply to ALL children.

Is your baby interested in food and eating well?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think 3 times is pretty normal. As in, not too few. 10 is also normal, but my DS fed 3 times in 24 hours at that age. DD is 8.5 months and looking like she's going to drop a day feed, so she will have 3 in the day and one overnight. If she slept through she'd only have 3 by 9 months, I'm sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, my son is 1yo and still has 4-5 feeds.

At 9 mths he would've been having around 5-7 feeds (although mostly at night).

I have come to learn that a lot of GP's have different opinions when it comes to breastfeeding.

I was told by one GP that I should be weaning (DS was 10 months at the time). I couldn't understand how she could think weaning to cow's milk would be better.

Anyway, talking to other mums, the number of feeds seem to vary, and as long as our babies are healthy I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is definitely interested in eating as well, but we are doing BLW and he doesn't consume a huge amount yet.

FL I am sure 3 times is normal too, I think it just seems so little to me because I am used to the extra feeds! We have done BLW with both kids so maybe that's part of the reason. I think DD was having about 4 feeds by 10mths, but she definitely ate more solids than DS at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah my kids have never been big milk drinkers. I've had to feed both to schedule because they don't demand feed at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithUnagi View Post
    Hmm, my son is 1yo and still has 4-5 feeds.

At 9 mths he would've been having around 5-7 feeds (although mostly at night).

I have come to learn that a lot of GP's have different opinions when it comes to breastfeeding.

I was told by one GP that I should be weaning (DS was 10 months at the time). I couldn't understand how she could think weaning to cow's milk would be better.

Anyway, talking to other mums, the number of feeds seem to vary, and as long as our babies are healthy I don't think it's anything to worry about.
    I have had alot of breastfeeding issues this time around and have found that IME alot of GPs have very little knowledge about breastfeeding. I find it quite disheartening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 would feed 7-8 times at that age and DS2 was 5 times (if I could get him to take that). All children are different but 3 feeds doesn't sound like enough to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think 3 times is pretty normal. As in, not too few. 10 is also normal, but my DS fed 3 times in 24 hours at that age. DD is 8.5 months and looking like she's going to drop a day feed, so she will have 3 in the day and one overnight. If she slept through she'd only have 3 by 9 months, I'm sure.
    4 times here during the day. Just recently dropped the night feed.

FL - do you mind posting your average day with 3 feeds? Bub doesn't seem to want much for third feed now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    4 times here during the day. Just recently dropped the night feed.

FL - do you mind posting your average day with 3 feeds? Bub doesn't seem to want much for third feed now.
    At the moment she's still on 4 a day & one overnight, but sometimes the overnight one is at about 4 or 5, then she wakes for the day at 6 or 7. She has breakfast when she wakes, then back down to sleep around 9 (when she would be due another BF) so doesn't end up getting another BF till 11ish. Her second nap is usually much shorter and she'll want another feed soon after it so around 2.30. Then I feed her again just before bed at around 6.
    But sometimes her overnight feed is more like 2-3am so I feed her when she wakes at 6-7. Next feed is around midday and then she's due another feed around 4ish, but as she has dinner at 5 I'm thinking soon her midday feed will stretch out and she won't need that later one. That's what happened with DS, his day at 9 months looked like this:

7am BF
    8am breakfast
    8.30-10 morning nap
    11 lunch
    1.30pm BF
    2-4 afternoon nap
    5pm dinner
    6.30 BF and bed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Qwerty  (15-08-2013)