+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone had a Mirena removed and/or replaced?

So.... my 5 years is up!
    And I must say I'm a bit nervous about getting the Mirena removed. Does it hurt? Will I bleed much afterwards?

Has anyone had their Mirena replaced due to it reaching it's expiration? Was it 5 years you had it for? Does anyone know what happens when it's 'too old'? Does it just stop working or do you get issues with it?
    Do you get the old one out and the new one in at the same appointment? Do you bleed after that?
    I haven't had a period at all for 5 years!! Do you think that's healthy? Has anyone read up on that kind of thing?

Sorry for so many questions but any experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only had mine in for around 6months as I found that I could feel it scratching when I exercised, but we were also ready to start ttc again.

It's uncomfortable to come out, but not really bad pain. Reasonably quick - our gyno got mine out. I bled for a few days then began my cycle about 2 weeks later...then fell pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had mine out last week and I only had it in for 10months. Can you feel the strings? The GP couldn't get mine out as she couldn't find the strings. Saw a gyne who gave me the option to have it out under an general anaesthetic in hospital or she could give me local and try to get it out. I refuse to pay hospital excess to get it out. 20 min of digging around she got the bugger out. It shouldn't be that complicated if the string is present!!

I believe you can get another at the same time. I have heard it just pop out easily (if the string is there)
    I don't believe there are any issues with not having a period. This is probably all best to discuss with the doctor

This is just my experience but I would still get one again. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out a few weeks ago. I'm such a wuss when it comes to all things to do with my lady parts but felt no pain at all more a relief once it was out. I'm not sure if I had bleeding or AF but it started the following day and lasted 2 weeks.
    Not sure about the whole 5 year thing though sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I had mine removed it was like a Pap smear but my gp said that mine was sitting very low and was easy to pull out.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine just felt a little bit of discomfort and only a spot of blood on toilet paper and that was it. I was amazed how easy it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just had mine removed !! I has the implanon for 3 years before conceiving DD and the marina for the last 2 since having her. It was uncomfortable but nothing compares to having the implanon taken out (that was bad) the doc took over 30 mins trying to squeeze it out of a small hole in my arm
    Last edited by Smartie; 17-10-2013 at 07:53.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had mine out at a routine pap smear and when the Dr said 'ok you're done' I reminded her I wanted the mirena out too and she laughed then said it was already out - I didn't feel a thing!

Fell pregnant 8 months later and then had another mirena in at my 6 week check post birth.

I haven't had one in for the full five years yet so not sure if you can have one removed and then replaced at the same appt but I can't see why not.