+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Suggestions for almost 2 y.o?

I'm not really in a position to complain as DS slept through for most part from a very early age.
    I'm now 4 months pregnant and due to lack of house space we are going to have to move him into a low bunk with his older brother.
    At the moment, more often than not, he cries and screams when I put him to be at about 7pm. Putting him to bed earlier is not an option because of work. He usually sleeps through until 6.30am and still generally naps for 1.5 to 2 hours during the day, he is in daycare 4 days a week and they pretty much expect him to conform to their routine.
    So.. Long story short, I put him to bed and he cries for anything between 5 mins and 30 mins before he self settles. In the time he is crying he is reaching out for me to get him out of the cot until I leave the room. I have no issue with the self settling thing (no judgement please), but im worried about moving him into a bed where he isn't confined per se. Because I know he will just climb out and keep coming out of the room.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How soon do you have to move him into the bed? You still have a few months up your sleeve?

My DS is very similar at the moment, he is 19 months and 4 days in daycare with similar napping habits. The last few nights has been a struggle and I can't see him in a bed for a while yet.

Maybe give a few more months before you start making any sort of transitions, a lot can happen in that time. I'm not sure how about how to make a transition from cot to bed but I'm sure there will be others that will have tips.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (14-08-2013),MrsSS  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks lovely I was hoping to move him in the next month or so, so any issues from transitioning are resolved before bub is here in Feb next year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess bottom line is I can only give it a go soon, so if there are issues w can hopefully fix it before Feb.. And I can at least move him back to the cot while I have some time up my sleeve? If that makes sense?
    I'm hoping he's one of these ones that adores his big boy bed and wants to sleep in it with no hassles! Won't know unless I give it a go I suppose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally get that - better to be prepared than stressing when it's too late!

I'd be interested in hearing how you do it... DS sounds really similar, especially recently. I'm wondering as we've upped his daycare days whether he's needing a bit more time in the evenings to spend with us. Tonight we got him up and played quietly for another 15 minutes and when we tried again he happily went straight off. He still wakes once a night at least 2-3 times a week.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill keep you posted! I wonder if that's the case with yours too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP that he may be needing more time with you - could you stay with him while he falls asleep? Move him directly from the cot to the bed, but stay with him to help him fall asleep peacefully?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd start soon, just so for him there isn't a link between him giving up the cot and a new baby.

As for him running out I'd just be firm and keep putting him back to his bed. Nicely, but firmly. That way (hopefully!) he gets the idea that it's not worth coming out, nothing exciting happening.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post: