+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Lapband surgery and complications - worried for my friend

Wondering if anyone can help with advice. My best friend is currently in America so i'm not able to keep in regular contact with her. She had a lapband put in 18 months or so ago and has lost a drastic amount of weight, about 50kgs or so, she is what i would describe now as underweight and not at all healthy. She is currently spending her second stint in hospital in America last time was for about 5 days, she's unable to keep any fluids or food down, so is severely dehydrated and basically malnourised. The last pic i got of her was with her having a NG tube to be fed and she looked pretty wretched, she looks like someone suffering an eating disorder.

I'm so deeply concerned for her health and i think it's a complication of the lapband. Does anyone know what the process is to fix her? I'm really worried this might kill her, but not sure if i'm over-worrying. If anyone can shed some light, i'd be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have no personal experience but have heard a million stories of similar problems with the band. Here in Australia, many bariatric surgeons are now actually no longer doing the band because of the high rate of complications and low level of success (and those that have success in weight loss often find it comes at quite a price to their happiness and physical health).

I think taking it out is probably going to be the ideal option. Is there any reason why she hasn't done this yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I'm not sure she'd like to take it out But i'm not sure what her options would be? I'm wondering if they put it back in, or have to take it out? She said she has to go in for surgery and I haven't heard from her. So not sure what that means, i asked her if they'll take it out, or just reposition it, but haven't heard? I'm so so worried It's horrible being so far away and so worried, and I know nothing about the complications and how serious it can be. If it's for her health and she has to get it out, they'll just do it i guess? Thanks Sassy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't they loosen it? A member of my immediate family has one and is a success story!
    He is now healthy and happy but did have to get some fluid taken out of it because he couldn't eat or drink at one stage.
    My understanding is that they can tighten and loosen it if you need to, if you are gaining more weight or if, like your friend, can't keep enough down.
    In the beginning this family member also lost a bit too much weight and was too thin but adjusted his band and is now ok.
    He is happy healthy, eats really well and exercises heaps, and the weight has stayed off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It may have slipped, the fill might not be right, etc etc. Sometimes it erodes the stomach wall too, which obviously isn't good.

Some people find that it works to a point, but then they cannot get the fill right, or even replacements after a slip cause issues.

Those people generally just go without any assistance and try to keep it off on their own, or go in for another form of WLS. A sleeve, bypass or a duodenal switch.

I hope you hear from her soon, and they sort it out. So many people (doctors, ex-patients etc) want to see it banned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

V8  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    MillyMolly - Glad to hear that your family member is ok and that it's worked for him and that they got the issues sorted out.

Sassy - Sounds as though that it's slipped, so i'm not sure what their plan of action is. But i'm totally worried about the damage it has caused or will cause. Last time she was in the hospital her blood pressure was like 55/77 or something crazy like that. I feel she is very weak and i'm worried that this surgery though probably necessary might just not turn out good I hope i'm worrying unncessarily and they can fix it for her.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi pet, im worried about how L is paying for this in america?? I hope she has some sort of insurance through her workplace or something?? It looks to me like it maybe too tight, or she has just gone too far with limiting her intake. I didnt know she had already had a time in hospital! She really does look very unhealthy, unwell. xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the lapband put in in 2006. I have since had it remove and had the gastrectomy sleeving done which has seen me lose 72 kilos.

The band alone will not cause this to happen to your friend however the band has been know for introducing eating disorderw amongst its patients.

I suffered with Bulemia after having the band. It makes vomiting very easy and the feeling becomes addicitive very quickly. I did manage to lose over 50 kilos through this savage behaviour I was putting myself through until eventually the vomiting caused my band to slip. Unfortunately by that point i didnt need the band to be in place to make myself vomit.

I honestly dont think the bank is your friends problem, but more a psychological issue she will need to work through.

It wasnt until I met my Husband and found happiness and belonging for the first time in my life I didnt want to hurt myself anymore.

I will be praying for you and your friend. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for sharing your experience preggassarah. Thankfully she's ok, she had to have an operation as the lapband slipped from her having severe gastro and vomitting, part of her stomach went through the band and kinked, so they had to sort it out. Really scary! I'm glad she's ok, but still worried something like that might happen again.