+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still get nightmares travelling with toddler!

Just before easter we travelled to Bali on an 5 hr morning flight with my 2.5 yr old DS. This was not his overseas trip, he once flew before when he just turned one but that was the time he was not quite at his terrible two yet!

During the flight, DS was cooperative and somewhat busy (and loud) with himself and too occupied with his toys and sometimes tried to jump between our seats which i would personally find it annoying!

The highlight of the day was that when we were landing - DS didnt like to be strapped on to a seabelt. that made myself being frustrated, scared he might run off to the end of the plane (i was also afraid that passangers or flight attendants might tell me off). so after unsuccessfully persuading DS (who at that time was a boy who was stubborn and did not even understand our words at all!), i just had to held him tightly on my lap and he screamed, cried, and kicked his front seat (blame it on dh who thought he chose the 'best seat'!!) - basically he made a HUGE fuss. You could not believe the look on our faces as soon as we got off the plane - it looked like we've jusy survived world war 3!

now these days i even have nightmares whether people would have thought we are stupid ignorant parents who didnt know how to control their child?

when i first told the story to my mum, her reply was "uhm.. Yeah of course i would say it was your fault for not being able to control him and understand to calm him down as his own parent... But yeah.. Nothing to be embarassed about.. Things happened anyway!

OMG... Was she right?

If i could turn back time, the only way to calm ds back then was to bribe him with a dozen of kinder surprise chcolate eggs which he loved to unwrap and would have brought the whole of toys r us (we did pack all of his treasures in his trunki anyway!)

Up till today i still have nightmares about this. Please make this go away. Thankfully nobody complained at that time 😅

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I was on your flight I wouldn't of cared at all, kids are kids and if he was only upset on the landing of the trip I think he did pretty well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sitting still for 5 hours is hard enough for adults so imagine how painful it is for wriggly toddlers. I am avoiding all flights until my kids are older for the very reasons you have outlined above. My Dd does not sit still and gets bored easily so if we had to travel we would have to pack some new toys for her to play with, colouring in stuff, snacks, iPad loaded with games and movies. I would have been ****ed off if your Ds was kicking my chair especially pre-kids. Now I have a child I am more understanding and realise that at 2.5 it's hard for any parent to control their child's behaviour

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. Most people would understand its difficult having children on a plane. A few months ago we flew to Hawaii with a 1 year old (10hrs) I will never do it again, it was a nightmare & the longest 10hrs of my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he was only upset on landing, after a long flight, then I think you've done pretty darn well. Congratulate yourself on making it through and ignore the parts that didn't go so well. It wasn't your fault, and most people sympathise with the difficulties of flying with toddlers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't be so harsh on yourself -
    Most people think "oh poor mum, we've all been there" not "what a bad mum"
    My DD was an angel flying 24hrs to London - then 6 months later, only a 4 hour flight and it was awful, felt like 400 hours! I told DH we'd get a boat home from Fiji. Ha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an ex flight attendant I used to see this all the time.... it's common occurence and from a flight attendants point of view you did the right thing. I myself have had terrible times whilst landing with our then 2 year old DD who was doing almost the exact same thing, yelling, screaming, kicking etc, but to me the most important element was to keep her safe in the seat belt. If other passengers don't understand or give you the death look when you get off, in my opinion they can charter a lear jet next time and have their own personal space and comfort. Don't worry to much about it, it is more stressful for you than anyone else...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I didn't have my own complaining, loud, hectic pair I would be annoyed (jks) but jeez I understand what it's like and sometimes no matter what you try they just wont do as they're told or be quite.
    I'm sure majority of the plane were sympathetic and only a few stick in the muds (like my dad) would have been annoyed and tbh who cares they could do with the stirring.
    Nothing to have nightmares about when I just had ds I couldn't understand how parents couldn't control/contain their LO out and about, then karma bit me in the @$$ and I had dd who can't be controlled or contained ESP out haha.