+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with medibank top hospital cover and all I had yo pay was my gap which was $250. But they only covered about $600 of my surgery costs from my surgeon and anaesthesiologist. My total out of pocket expenses was about $6000.

But in saying that it was the best $6000 I've ever spent!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel like there could be cheaper cover out there. I've got 27 days to find it. She did say that I'd be refunded whatever the cost of the surgeon was over the Medicare threshold but couldn't tell me what it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No matter how many times I get phi costs explained I can't process it in my head properly. Choosi gave me a quote of $87 per month with CUA. They said I'd get back 65% back of out of pockets costs but the surgeon might charge their additional costs which aren't covered. I don't pay an excess but the most I would pay is $1000 for my stay. And I'd get 65% of what a surgeon would charge. So if a surgeon charged $6000 I'd get back $3900 back. So my total cost out of pocket would be $3100?

Whereas Latrobe Valley health costs me $105 per month and apparently I'd get 100% back over the Medicare threshold and only 500 excess.

I'm so confused

Medibank wasn't cheaper

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all confusing. But it depends on what the surgeon charges. Phi and Medicare all have amounts of what surgeons "should" charge but then the majority of surgeons charge WAY over that amount

Try getting the items numbers from the dr and check with the phi company.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lubelu2 For This Useful Post:

ProudMumma34  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would a surgeon even give that info if I haven't seen them yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Would a surgeon even give that info if I haven't seen them yet?
    Yep most do.

Other ask on Australian support sites for recent prices for the dt your looking at.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

ProudMumma34  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are interested pm me and I'm a member of a secret Facebook group which is by invitation only. It's for people who have or are thinking about the gastric sleeve in Australia.

Everyone is very helpful and because it's Australia wide you're guaranteed that someone has had experience with the surgeon you're considering.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lubelu2 For This Useful Post:

KateDerek  (21-04-2014),ProudMumma34  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lubelu2 View Post
    If you are interested pm me and I'm a member of a secret Facebook group which is by invitation only. It's for people who have or are thinking about the gastric sleeve in Australia.

Everyone is very helpful and because it's Australia wide you're guaranteed that someone has had experience with the surgeon you're considering.
    Thanks. Another member has also asked me if I'd like to join too. I've just not gotten around to reactivating or creating a new account. Been so busy lately cause I went back to work. I'll pm you or her soon. I think that's the best way.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Usually, you won't get much back on your surgeon's fee. That's where most of your out-of-pocket costs will be if you get PHI. Hospital stay is costly, but that's what the PHI SHOULD be covering if you've got the right level of cover. It should also cover SOME of the anesthetists fee, but there'll be a gap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lubelu2 View Post

Hi Lubelu - I have just read this thread and currently researching all options in relation to surgery. I am really sorry, but I don't know how to use the PM function. I would be grateful for an information you can provide or the names of some FB pages where I can connect with others and obtain more information.

Thanks