+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mmy2b View Post
    Thats good to know thank you. I believe his surgeon told him 50 so that's what we've been going by, but as I said he needs to reschedule an appointment with the dietician.
    I might get him o add on a protein shake o make up the extra...
    Perhaps it was 50 to begin with because you cant really fit
    Much in?

I know only from myself and the people in my support group women are usually 60-70g a day and men anywhere from 70-90g a day.

Protein shake would do it. Or i add flavoured protein powder to my plain chobani yogurt to flavour it with some berries) cause i dont like drinking the shakes myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think the rule of thumb for protein is 0.7g per kg of body weight for women and about 0.85g per kg for men.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think the rule of thumb for protein is 0.7g per kg of body weight for women and about 0.85g per kg for men.
    That would only give me 52g protein. My nutritionist would flog me if i had that. >_<

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ZE: Adding a bit of carbs to your meal like a bit of bread would solve that problem wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In the beginning you cant waste the TINY space u have with non nutritious food like bread. I dont know what others are told but bread is off the cards for many many sleevers.

In order for the sleeve to work efficiently you are basically meant to live on a meat and salad diet.

Pasta potato bread all that stuff that made us fat in the first place is a no go.

Bread is a slider food.

If you filled your pouch with half a sandwich or 100g of dense protein. Your gonna feel hungry heaps quicker after the sandwich, compared to the protein.

However if u have the willpower to not give into sweet cravings that comes with having bread then i suppose you could eventually incorporate it into your diet. But alot of sleevers cant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember sassy saying earlier that there's nothing she can't eat...maybe I didn't understand it properly to mean that although you can eat it you shouldn't?

A friend of mine did the duodenal switch and said she can eat anything but just in small amounts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, you can but you shouldn't.

When you first get sleeved your stomach can hold the contents of a pen. Try stuffing bread in a tube like that. Its gonna suck bad.
    A year out your stomach holds a small banana. U can fit that half
    A sandwich in. But again its gonna fill it. When your body needs to many different thing to function, you aren't going to want to fill that small space with something that has no nutritional value. It only takes a matter of time before the body starts suffering for it.
    Last edited by Zombie_eyes; 21-08-2013 at 17:23.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, what are your fb support groups called? I'm an ex bander, had it removed 6 weeks ago and I'm having a sleeve in another 6 weeks.
    Just from reading this thread I'm understanding more about life after sleeve and I thought I had done my research already

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Achieving through sleeving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The group I'm on is a secret group, so you can't search it. It's so that everyone can keep it from people on their friend's list if they want to.

There's a few other sleever groups, though no idea if they're public or secret or what.

And I agree with Z about what you're supposed to eat post-op. I still eat my carbs... or most often, DRINK my carbs (not booze, just frozen coke and juice and iced tea really)... but I stick to the "protein first," rule... OR I use carbs as a way to get my protein in (like sardines/tuna/etc on crackers... I can't eat them on their own). I found that after a while, I wouldn't eat plain protein... I would just not eat. I was over it... so using crackers, for example, as a way to get the protein in... many wouldn't do it, but I'm happy doing it.

Some sleevers go so anti-sugar that they won't even eat fruit... but I personally am not living my life that way. I try to stick to a decent diet, but if I want to eat a sandwich (or 1/2) I will... I just make sure it's chock-full of protein fillings to sort of balance it out.