+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My hubby had the sleeve in February this year. So proud of him. He has lost 62kgs so far and last weekend ran the city to surf in only 95 minutes. This time last year he wouldn't have even been able to walk it.

Just thought I'd add what a typical day is food wise for him in case it helps, he tends to eat the same thing everyday as its easier. He will still occasionally pick at the boys a little, but just a taste of "bad" food is enough, he doesn't feel the need to pig out like he used to.

His normal day is an up n go energiser for breakfast as it has more protein than regular. A high protein yogurt (like Greek flavoured yogurt) for lunch. And some chicken and broccoli for dinner with a bit of soy sauce. He could eat the same things as us, but chooses not to as we have a fair bit of pasta etc... I do try to make meals he's can have to like slow cooler meat and veg etc.

he hasn't eaten too much twice now and avoids it at all costs. Both times we'd gone out to dinner, and rather than put something on a plate and then eat it, he just picked and picked too much. So we've learnt he needs to make himself a small plate before he starts eating so he doesn't h a too much. Also if he drinks too close to when he eats this can cause pain.

He also goes to the gym 4-5 times a week now. Can easily run 10+ km and is generally a changed man.

Hope this helps a lil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    A few people in my group have regained 20-25 kilos they are about 2-3 years out and struggle to lose at all now
    That's a fear of mine. As about 2-3 years later I slowly started gaining the weight back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mm2b. That doesn't sound like alot of food at all! Is it because he cant fit anymore in or because he just doesn't feel hungry anymore?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And why would eating and drinking at the same time cause pain?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Its the same story for them. They do amazing the first couple of years and then start eating carbs again because they get so sick of eating meat and cheese and yogurt. (High protein foods)

Carbs cause cravings, hunger and slide through so you can eat more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Thanks mm2b. That doesn't sound like alot of food at all! Is it because he cant fit anymore in or because he just doesn't feel hungry anymore?
    He generally doesn't feel hungry. If he is he'll have an apple or glass of milk. At the moment he seems to be "needing" a few lollies at night so I'm trying to encourage a little more food in the day. He also hasn't been back to the dietician since 6 weeks post op so probably needs to check he is having enough.
    That is al he could eat at each meal, but if he had to he could probably have another one or two meals in the day, but he doesn't feel like he needs it.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The drink has no where to go, they remove the stretch part of the stomach so your sleeve wont stretch to accommodate the liquid so it causes discomfort but even a simple cough and it will come back up.

Tbh the pp husband should be getting in more protein than that. Its a strict 70g of protein a day minimum for muscle and organ health. So you do need more than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    And why would eating and drinking at the same time cause pain?
    just because the water fills up your stomach before you eat anything. Your not supposed to eat within half an hour of drinking, so it's only happened occasionally when he's forgotten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    The drink has no where to go, they remove the stretch part of the stomach so your sleeve wont stretch to accommodate the liquid so it causes discomfort but even a simple cough and it will come back up.

Tbh the pp husband should be getting in more protein than that. Its a strict 70g of protein a day minimum for muscle and organ health. So you do need more than that.
    Thats good to know thank you. I believe his surgeon told him 50 so that's what we've been going by, but as I said he needs to reschedule an appointment with the dietician.
    I might get him o add on a protein shake o make up the extra...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Nobody in my group has regained a large amount. Some have put on a little... 8ish kg at most. One lady said she lost very little but I get the feeling it was her own fault. She had previously been banded, that didn't work so she had the sleeve and she said that didn't work so she had the duodenal switch. A few days after that op she was eating KFC. So I think she was self sabotaging to be honest.

Some have the opposite problem though... That they can't stop losing and have to make an effort to eat more to stop themselves from getting too thin. Majority seem to reach goal or get close to it anyway.