+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was just wondering what BMI needs to be to consider having sleeve procedure and a rough idea of cost? Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sandramm1 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sandramm1 View Post
    I was just wondering what BMI needs to be to consider having sleeve procedure and a rough idea of cost? Thanks
    I was told BMI 35-40.
    That was 2 years ago in QLD.
    From memory for the sleeve I was told 6K after Medicare rebates.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you eat slider foods with the sleeve you can eat a larger amount.

The exit of your stomach opens and shuts, its reccomended with yhe sleeve to eat dense protein before u eat anything else and it helps the exit of the stomach stay shut for lounger so you cannot eat as much and so u feel fuller for longer.

When u eat junk and carbs it slides through the exit so u can eat quite a bit before you feel full and it exits real quick so u feel hungry again. This gives the illusion of a stretched sleeve but they remove most of the stretchy elastic part of the stomach and leave the muscle which makes it very very hard to stretch.

People do cheat the sleeve. And after a year it becomes very hard to drop a lot. So you have to be 100% dedicated. People do regain its most definitely possible. Head hunger doesn't disappear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah, it's about 35-40 BMI to have the sleeve, and the price varies, though is around $5K out of pocket if you have PHI to cover your hospital fees etc. That's if everything goes to plan, of course.

As Z said though, eating crap can be easy. I could eat lots of popcorn, for example. Not nearly as much as before, but still quite a lot.

It's ideal that you team having your op with a LOT of research into life after the sleeve, dieticians who are familiar with the procedure and the special requirements it has, and a psychologist to help you deal with the changes... it's strange how losing a lot of weight can affect you, or even just dealing with your emotions when you can't simply feed them with buckets of KFC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is slider food junk/carbs?

I read on one surgeon's website that uou can use your super for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah, I find that for me, things like chips (not hot chips - more like crisps), rice crackers, popcorn etc is easy for me to get a lot in. Ice-cream can be a slider food but for me it's not - I can't have a whole one, even now. But generally it's substance-less carby crap I shouldn't be eating anyway. lol.

Post-op you're supposed to have "protein first," as a rule for your meals... it should be included in every meal, to a significant degree.

You can get access to your super if you can prove you're suffering financial hardship and can get someone to sign your paperwork saying you need the surgery. Even if you're going to do that, I would seriously recommend getting PHI - you need that time to research your decision, prepare for it, and make sure you know what you're getting into. SO MANY people don't... and they come to the groups I run, like, 1 week post op talking about if it's okay to have hot dogs or something. (Generally, about 6-ish weeks post-op, you have a diet to stick to... it starts with liquids and works it way up to normal foods. Hot dogs are absolutely not anywhere on that list! lol).

Given the damage not adhering to these guidelines could cause, it's important people KNOW all of this before their op, and get dietician visits and such out of the way from the get-go.

I think having that year is a great way to do that, but also to save some money. A year is not a long time.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If i wanted to i could easily eat half a pack of tim tams. I could eat a cheeseburger if i went slow. Heck if i took the top bun off a mcChicken burger i could eat it over half an hour. There is still the hard part of making the right choices

Its not really a magical answer if your relationship with food is a tangled mess of emotions unfortunately. Im in a much smaller sleeve group on fb and there are plenty of people who still struggle considerably with carbs and regaining. They never took the initial detox seriously and have struggled the entire way.

I got pregnant a year in and its been a struggle since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Bunnylover I've only got 3ml I think in. The night I had my slippage was awful. I was bringing up alot of saliva and trying to vomit. We were at a restaurant when my band slipped and had to leave and go straight to the hospital. I had an awful nights sleep and that morning the doc started the process to have it replaced.

I'm so fearful of having it slipping again. The week after my recovery too was the last week of my contract at work so I had taken 2 wks off work already. ..I think it contributed to me not having my contact renewed. It really cut deep because they employed someone from a completely different background when I was already in the job! !

I'm in Melbourne.
    Are you sure 3ml is enough? I get it.. It's hard to find that middle ground when you don't want to push it to the point where you have another slip. It's so hard when PCOS is thrown into the mix as well. I have PCOS too.. Most of my symptoms have disappeared now.
    The sleeve sounds really good and I'm kind of wishing I took that option after my slip! It sounds like a good option OP. def check it out with your surgeon!
    I was wondering where you were as I was doing to recommend a really good surgeon but I'm in Syd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3ml isn't enough definitely not but I never went back after the first fill. I was due to go o/s 5 weeks after my surgery so that happened and then life got in the way.

Thanks for the thought now. I'm going public so I know the wait for an appointment will be a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello again ProudMumma,

Its been over a year since I had my sleeve done. It only took 6 months to lose all 72 kilos

I still can only eat 1/2 a sandwich at the most before im very full and have to stop. Ill be full then for a few hours.

With the band I found it difficult to eat breads when the band was filled to its correct level...None of that with this procedure.

Once you see the number going down on the scales you want to make this huge decision work for you...I exercied and watched fat grams as well as calories. I was exactly the same as you so dont feel like youre alone. If you go ahead with this and give it 100% this will be the most rewarding journey you will ever take.

Im seeing my cute pregnancy belly now that i honestly thought id never get the chance to enjoy and wearing the cutest little maternity clothes. Its been a dream come true.

If you need more support through the journey....Feel free to add me on Facebook. Im on there more than im on here.

My name is Sarah Houghton and i have my hair in a pony tail on my profile pic. My before and after photos are on there too.

Its a journey leading up to the procedure and its a journey afterwards but one that leads to unspeakable happiness and a quality of life you will have only have imagined for yourself.

Do it You only live once so live well and with no regret

xx