+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    I didn't say they did advocate the legalisation of drugs. I was just pointing out which principle I thought mum2b meant. Decriminalisation of individual drug use could have similar effects/consequences as legalisation of individual drug use, so I guess it's the possible consequences that are of concern to mum2b.
    I'm sorry, I wasn't saying that you did. My original point was, mum2b (not you) was incorrect in her assertion that the greens want to legalise drugs. They don't, she is wrong. To clarify, the consequences aren't the same because legalisation would then regulate the manufacture of drugs (making them safer) and there would be no consequences for using them. Decriminalisation just means the individual user wouldn't get a criminal record but would likely pay a fine or similar to a civil court. I have no problem with mum2b being concerned with any policies but she should, IMO, familiarise herself with them and understand them before telling people what they are. Her post said the greens wish to legalise drugs- they do not. That's all.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-08-2013),FiveInTheBed  (14-08-2013),risfaerie  (14-08-2013),salamat  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Because when he was Leader of the Opposition he made absolutely no inroads against Kevin Rudd. At all.

Abbott on the other hand, did.
    When he was leader, the party was in disarray.

I also think that many of the staunch, conservative liberal voters don't like him. Some say he's more labor than labor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

I also think that many of the staunch, conservative liberal voters don't like him. Some say he's more labor than labor.
    I've heard this too. He's too "left" for the conservatives.

Thanks
    Reviews

The Party was in disarray because they weren't making any headway against Rudd. That is because Turnbull was basically shadowing everything Rudd did. The Party - from grassroots members to Parliamentary members - wanted to distinguish itself from the Government.

Which is what Abbott did.

The circumstances of Turnbull taking the leadership weren't ideal and whoever took over them was never likely to stay in the job until the 2010 election. But the fact remains the reason the party was unhappy with his leadership is because of his inability to set the Opposition apart from the Government.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-08-2013),lambjam  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    The Party was in disarray because they weren't making any headway against Rudd. That is because Turnbull was basically shadowing everything Rudd did. The Party - from grassroots members to Parliamentary members - wanted to distinguish itself from the Government.

Which is what Abbott did.

The circumstances of Turnbull taking the leadership weren't ideal and whoever took over them was never likely to stay in the job until the 2010 election. But the fact remains the reason the party was unhappy with his leadership is because of his inability to set the Opposition apart from the Government.
    I thought it was more about the ets? Because back then Abbott was a denier. Don't know if he still is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it was more about the ets? Because back then Abbott was a denier. Don't know if he still is.
    Yes. That is a large part of him failing to distinguish the Opposition from the Government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Send back the Botox Tony Abbott !!
    Last edited by Maybelline; 14-08-2013 at 12:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I'm sorry, I wasn't saying that you did. My original point was, mum2b (not you) was incorrect in her assertion that the greens want to legalise drugs. They don't, she is wrong. To clarify, the consequences aren't the same because legalisation would then regulate the manufacture of drugs (making them safer) and there would be no consequences for using them. Decriminalisation just means the individual user wouldn't get a criminal record but would likely pay a fine or similar to a civil court. I have no problem with mum2b being concerned with any policies but she should, IMO, familiarise herself with them and understand them before telling people what they are. Her post said the greens wish to legalise drugs- they do not. That's all.
    They are fore the use of regulated THC that sounds pretty legalized to me. That's all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've heard this too, and tend to think that is what has kept him out of the top job. I mean - he wants to do something about the environment - SHOCK HORROR! haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just saw on the news, apparently he "had a dad moment" (in regards to his sexist comment).