+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    I think it was very clear what the govt was trying to do with the PPL over the BB - encourage women to return to work. It's simple. The economy needs more women to return to work for productivity. I'm pregnant & I say good riddance to the BB. Terrible policy.
    In the economic climate it was introduced in i don't think it was a terrible idea. There were huge surpluses and it was designed to help boost the birth rate to ensure an ongoing taxpayer base that could support an ageing population.

The country could afford it and it did have some basis in thoughtful social and economic policy.

Given the pressures on the economy and budget today, it's unaffordable. So I agree with it being scrapped. In terms of economic imperative it is far more important to encourage people to remain in the workforce through a PPL policy than it is to encourage people to breed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    In the economic climate it was introduced in i don't think it was a terrible idea. There were huge surpluses and it was designed to help boost the birth rate to ensure an ongoing taxpayer base that could support an ageing population.

The country could afford it and it did have some basis in thoughtful social and economic policy.

Given the pressures on the economy and budget today, it's unaffordable. So I agree with it being scrapped. In terms of economic imperative it is far more important to encourage people to remain in the workforce through a PPL policy than it is to encourage people to breed.
    A PPL scheme in the first place would've been a better idea than the BB. In my opinion. Would've achieved its aims without the pointless part.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A PPL scheme in the first place would've been a better idea than the BB. In my opinion. Would've achieved its aims without the pointless part.
    Fair point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it was very clear what the govt was trying to do with the PPL over the BB - encourage women to return to work. It's simple. The economy needs more women to return to work for productivity. I'm pregnant & I say good riddance to the BB. Terrible policy.
    Don't get me wrong, I 100% support the PPL scheme. My point is that lower income families tend to use the BB, higher income tend to use PPL. Labor has historically been the vote of low and middle income. So cutting the BB a large amount in favour of PPL I believe, isn't really in line with left values. A left stance would be to introduce PPL but leave BB.

There are lots of reasons why women can't return to work, especially when they don't have partners to share the burden and bring in a 2nd income to offset some of the cost. But that's another thread lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post
    Is anyone else of the view that Julie may have been bought in to implement some of these unpopular decisions & then purposefully dragged out again in time for the more popular K-Rudd to attempt another election?
    Maybe. but I think the reason was that to put it bluntly, Rudd was a jerk to work with. So his colleagues got rid of him in favour of someone else.... to realise that someone else was going to lose the election by a landslide. So to save their own necks, they brought Rudd back in.

These are some of the reasons I did plan to vote greens. It's been a dissappointing few years for labor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I agree - it is the generalisation that is most concerning - and from what I can gather -that was what he said when talking just generally about indigenous women. That is why it was offensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    I am a big supporter of indigenous rights and recognition and in no way an Abbott supporter but it is a reality that in some communities indigenous women do live in fear, but it is more about their community and not about being Aboriginal. To use it as generalisation would be abhorrent but I don't know enough about the context he used it in, did he generalise?

I found his description in another article of Aborigines and Aboriginals as an 'adornment' extremely insulting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Bec yep

I find the idea if the spectrum of left to right interesting. I loved watched sh!tsville on ABC in the last couple of months. The fuel who used to be liberal but is now libertarian certainly had interesting views.

Lol just realize I outer myself as an ABC watcher:P
    Do you watch the abc news as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they don't want another Jaymes Diaz moment but pretty poor form

http://m.sbs.com.au/news/#article180...ng-to-electora