+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Yeah but she didn't listen to her core base because she was overwhelmed by the power of the Right in the party.

And to be fair to her - I think the caucus, ministry and cabinet probably over-compensated post-Rudd in terms of demanding consultation and consensus. That would have hamstrung her quite significantly.

But I think if she had had a strong vision it may have played out differently.

Anyway - you know I really dislike Rudd so I will stop ranting
    I do agree she was ham strung. I also believe, despite not being overly keen on her, that she got treated very badly.

It's ok, I'll forgive you this one time for not loving Rudd like I do

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    If anyone needs more proof that Abbott is a neanderthal;

What was largely missed, however, was Mr Abbott’s description of Indigenous women when addressing the Garma Festival last weekend. Indigenous women were “cowering in their houses or their huts”, unempowered and fearful, and unable to participate in the decision-making processes that affected themselves, their families and communities. This foul potpourri of racism, paternalism and sexism has been completely ignored by the main****** media, with the notable exception on Louise Taylor in The Guardian.

Mr Abbott was at the Garma Festival to announce his new Indigenous advisory body. During his speech he said, "Here in the Territory, we’ve had a lost generation ... kids didn’t go to school, adults didn’t go to work. The ordinary law of the land didn’t apply. Women cowering in their houses, or in their huts, in fear of what some drunken relative might do."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...scape-scrutiny

There are no words...
    I am a big supporter of indigenous rights and recognition and in no way an Abbott supporter but it is a reality that in some communities indigenous women do live in fear, but it is more about their community and not about being Aboriginal. To use it as generalisation would be abhorrent but I don't know enough about the context he used it in, did he generalise?

I found his description in another article of Aborigines and Aboriginals as an 'adornment' extremely insulting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think it often depends on the trade. Social workers, teachers, nurses are well educated and usually intelligent yet are usually left. But then lawyers, business analysts or say doctors often tend to be right.

People usually gravitate to a trade that fits their world view, and they vote on that basis.
    I'm a Business Analyst & I'm not right wing at all.

Also, Gillard is more left than Rudd - although Rudd certainly does hold some core Labor values, mostly only where something has had a personal impact on him in his life though. I believe he "changed his mind" on marriage equality as he saw it as an area Labor was losing votes to the Greens. Which makes this hard line boats policy even more inexplicable.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (17-08-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bec yep

I find the idea if the spectrum of left to right interesting. I loved watched sh!tsville on ABC in the last couple of months. The fuel who used to be liberal but is now libertarian certainly had interesting views.

Lol just realize I outer myself as an ABC watcher:P

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2013),Busy-Bee  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I guess one of my big sticking points with Gillard was cutting single parent pay by $150 per fortnight. That's not a left decision to further disadvantage the most statistically vulnerable families in the country. Nor is cutting the BB while supporting PPL. Not that supporting PPL is not left, but reducing BB, which usually is for one income families...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess one of my big sticking points with Gillard was cutting single parent pay by $150 per fortnight. That's not a left decision to further disadvantage the most statistically vulnerable families in the country. Nor is cutting the BB while supporting PPL. Not that supporting PPL is not left, but reducing BB, which usually is for one income families...
    Ah but that is because she wasn't prepared to say 'forget a surplus we feel the country will benefit from a continued deficit that allows social support'.

She was too scared of the fallout after inheriting the 'we will return the budget to surplus' line from the fiscally conservative Rudd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see it in a different way. Gillard didn't listen to her voters. She kept making decisions that weren't popular to her core voting base. Rudd is listening.... mainly lol so I suppose it can be seen in different ways - Gillard as being someone that held to her convictions despite being unpopular - or that she didn't listen to labor voters. Rudd could be seen as a brown noser wanting to get relected.... or as a leader that wants to speak for his voters.
    Is anyone else of the view that Julie may have been bought in to implement some of these unpopular decisions & then purposefully dragged out again in time for the more popular K-Rudd to attempt another election?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Bec yep

I find the idea if the spectrum of left to right interesting. I loved watched sh!tsville on ABC in the last couple of months. The fuel who used to be liberal but is now libertarian certainly had interesting views.

Lol just realize I outer myself as an ABC watcher:P
    That must make you a Chardonnay/latte sipping member of the chattering classes then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are many factors influencing how people vote - level of education is a big part of that, occupation, preference for personal gain vs a more social view, location, ability to comprehend policies, ability to cut through the campaign 'spin/rhetoric/cr@p', sources of information, family history/preference. It certainly isn't an easy decision! And I think generalisations only meet some of those components.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it was very clear what the govt was trying to do with the PPL over the BB - encourage women to return to work. It's simple. The economy needs more women to return to work for productivity. I'm pregnant & I say good riddance to the BB. Terrible policy.