+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Friend's 2 year old only saying one word!

As the topic says, my friends 2 year old is only saying one word! She doesn't seem concerned about it but if it were me I'd be worried! A remember my health nurse saying they should have at least 6 words by 18 months! I'm scared to say anything in case I offend her! Am I right to be concerned or do some kids just talk a lot later and eventually catch up??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't say anything. Her health nurse will if there's reason for concern.

I don't think no words at that age are necessarily a worry unless combined with other delays or issues...

For example

Can she understand what is said to her? Follow an instruction.

Does she vocalise in her own babble talk?

Does she respond to sound and noises?

Does she interact, make eye contact etc?

If the answer to those is no then probably concerning but if not then she may just be taking her time.

I know of a few people whose kids said nothing till almost 3 then just spoke conversationally....like they were just taking it in but didn't have anything to say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with giggle berry. At that age I think the main thing is whether she understands and can follow instructions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter did not speak much until 3. Took her to speech therapy, after 2 sessions they said nothing to worry about. She just turned 5 now and seriously wish she came with a mute button some days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good thank you!! I just remembered what my health nurse said and was worried there was a problem! She is obviously just taking her time and will talk when she's ready! She does seem to understand when she's spoken to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Momkey View Post
    As the topic says, my friends 2 year old is only saying one word! She doesn't seem concerned about it but if it were me I'd be worried! A remember my health nurse saying they should have at least 6 words by 18 months! I'm scared to say anything in case I offend her! Am I right to be concerned or do some kids just talk a lot later and eventually catch up??
    You want my advice on this?, well you're gonna get it. Coming from a mum who's 2yr old has speech delay.....
    LEAVE THEM ALONE. Mind your business. Stop comparing. Instead, Be supportive.
    if mum isnt worried, then neither should you. Do some real research on children's language development if your that worried. That should answer your question.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B00ts For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (14-08-2013),mummabear13  (14-08-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B00ts View Post
    You want my advice on this?, well you're gonna get it. Coming from a mum who's 2yr old has speech delay.....
    if mum isnt worried, then neither should you. Do some real research on children's language development if your that worried. That should answer your question.
    Er, did you read the OP's post above yours before you bit her head off?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (14-08-2013),atomicmama  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by B00ts View Post
    Wow that's really uncalled for and nasty! It's posters like you who make people too scared to ask questions on these forums! The OP was clearly worried about her friends daughter and wanted some nice opinions from real people!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mum2mj For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (14-08-2013),HugsBunny  (14-08-2013),Night Owl  (14-08-2013),SugarSkull  (14-08-2013),thepouts  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i did not mean to sound nasty, i did not see her last post.
    She put it in a public forum, so she would be aware that she's gonna get some different opinions.
    Im glad the OP seems to know that her friends child is completely normal.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 3rd son barely spoke until 3 - 3 1/2 and then all of a sudden, language explosion and now he barely stops talking! I did get his hearing checked at about 3, and it was totally fine, so I stopped worrying.

There is a large range of 'normal' when it comes to talking.