+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to you discipline a almost 3yo boy

Just wondering what others do to discipline their almost 3yo, particularly boys.
    My DS is 3 in DEC and i cant seems to get him to listen and when i try to discipline him he basically just laughs in my face.
    We tried the naughty corner but now he thinks its a game. Ill say 'please stop that or you'll go to the naughty corner' and he replys 'ok, ill go to naughty corner'. Same goes for taking toys. Ill say 'stop that', 'if you dont stop that ill take bunny' And he says 'i want you to take bunny'.

I dont get it.

hes quite badly behaved. He doesnt listen, he jumps all over his sister all the time. He throws things all the time (he threw a toy at our $600 tv and broke it). He throws tantrums. Pees on the floor/couch all the time. He hits, jumps on me, throws things at me. Spits all the time.

Any advice, im not sure what to do.

DD whos almost 5 now was so much more receptive to discipline. Im out of ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some people may not agree with me but what I have done is put ds in the room and close the door. He is only in there for about 30 sec but he really hates it. I had to do this a couple of times and now I warn him and count to three. He now knows and will stop the behaviour before i get to 3 so I haven't had to put him in his room any more. I only use this discipline for things like hurting his sister, not everyday small stuff.
    Good luck hope its just a phase and your ds will grow out of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do the same thing as jontu, count to three and if he doesn't stop he goes in his room door closed. Most of the time now he will stop, if not I pick him up and take him into his bed walk out and close the door. When I go in I sit on his bed and talk about whatever it was he is in trouble for and a cuddle. The chair never worked for him either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice is to ignore his comments about the discipline. Keep consistent. He is testing boundaries, testing your reaction. Just ignore and follow through with the consequence. Even if he is laughing about it. He will soon learn that you won't be swayed Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same for us! I ask ds to stop and he says no mummy stop.....drives me bonkers! Tried the room thing but because all his toys are in there it doesn't work. I'm also at a loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just started using 1,2,3 Magic. It's working really well for us. We do time out in their bedrooms. I've taken everything breakable or precious out of the rooms and if they trash their rooms they can't break anything. I believe at that age the important thing is to be consistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We never sent our DDs or my Ex's DS to their room for time out because they'd just play in there anyway. We had a chair in the bathroom and the toilet is separate so they went to the very boring bathroom for timeouts. Never had to do it with DD2 and only once with DD1 and maybe half a dozen times with DSS, he was pretty stubborn and would come out and do the same naughty thing so right back in he would go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with trying 123 magic. It works.

Theory with that system is to stop the escalation, so it doesn't matter if there are toys to play with in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do 1 2 3 magic and timeout is in the hallway.