+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Struggling

I have a 4 month old girl who is just perfect. She has been sleeping through the night since she was 10 weeks old and she is generally a happy baby...every now and then we have a bad afternoon and she will just scream and nothing seems to comfort her. This sends me crazy! I have always had problems with anger management and depression but this is different I just can't handle it when she cries and I can't stop her. This afternoon was a bad episode. My partner took her off me and started to walk away and i screamed at him and told him to bring her back and he said that he was scared I was going to hurt her....what have I become?!?! I hate myself so much. I feel like she would be better off without me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sometimes it's a shock when you have a perfect baby most of the time, it can be frustrating when they then get upset for no reason. Thoughts like 'what is wrong!!' 'Whats your problem!!' Were recurring in my mind constantly even though i had a relatively good baby the 2nd time. Considering how difficult dd was when she was born I thought I could handle anything, but it was so hard, I would pick him up and have his dummy in my mouth (the plastic handle bit) and I noticed it had teeth marks where I was biting down on it.
    When I got to the point where I had to put him down and walk away, is where I took myself off to the GP, who can help with some techniques to control the frustration or if its bad enough, prescribe something.
    I have been on a mild anti depressant now for a few months and I am so much more relaxed, even when he wasn't sleeping through I wasn't angry, I just stayed calm, and went through the motions because I knew eventually he would calm down, I also feel a lot more relaxed about other things too.

Hope you can get some help soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    **Hugs** from experience that can be normal as change in hormones + being a new mum + tiredness can equal not being able to cope very well
    When my boys were babies a couple of times in the night I had to wake my husband for the same reason, to take over as I was scared I was going to hurt them.
    Perhaps you could call Relationships Australia for some advice too?

Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh god it's so good to hear I'm not alone, I have nearly broken my teeth biting the dummy many times. I've made an appointment to see me GP first thing tomorrow morning, I hope she can help.