+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preventing Hyperemesis help!!

Hey Guys, We just found out we are preg with #3! Nice surprise for us considering I was taking the mini pill .. Previous pregnancies I suffered the dreaded HG.. Just putting it out there for ANY tips on preventing / lessening it this time! Anyone tried restavit/b6 combo with success? ?? Hoping to hear some positive stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I dont think you can. I would start the b6 straight away though. I did better during my second hg pregnancy by managing it better with meds and demanding more help straight away instead of getting pushed around.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't been diagnosed with HG but have really bad all day sickness. I take a Restavit at night and it gets me through most of the day and then I have a few hours of feeling cr*p until it's time to take one again before bed. It has worked for me, occasionally during the day I may get sick but for the most part I'm able to function and eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I haven't been diagnosed with HG but have really bad all day sickness. I take a Restavit at night and it gets me through most of the day and then I have a few hours of feeling cr*p until it's time to take one again before bed. It has worked for me, occasionally during the day I may get sick but for the most part I'm able to function and eat.
    There is a thing on the helpher.org website to see if you may have hg. Its more than just feeling sick all the time. Large amounts of weight loss, constant vomiting and nausea, the inability to eat anything without vomiting but mostly the inability to stay hydrated because of vomiting, leading to dehydration requiring hospitalisation. I really hope you dont have hg its really really horrible. If you think you might though I urge you to see your dr again as there are more meds you can take if you're suffering.

There is a huge difference between morning sickness (even bad morning sickness) and hyperemesis.

Op the combo that worked for me was 4mg zofran twice a day, 150mg ranitidine twice a day, 50mg b6 three times a day and half a restivit at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    There is a thing on the helpher.org website to see if you may have hg. Its more than just feeling sick all the time. Large amounts of weight loss, constant vomiting and nausea, the inability to eat anything without vomiting but mostly the inability to stay hydrated because of vomiting, leading to dehydration requiring hospitalisation. I really hope you dont have hg its really really horrible. If you think you might though I urge you to see your dr again as there are more meds you can take if you're suffering.

There is a huge difference between morning sickness (even bad morning sickness) and hyperemesis.

Op the combo that worked for me was 4mg zofran twice a day, 150mg ranitidine twice a day, 50mg b6 three times a day and half a restivit at night.

Thanks, I don't think I have HG and understand there is a difference between severe ms and HG. I was just curious if there was ways to prevent it and saw OP ask about Restivat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Thanks, I don't think I have HG and understand there is a difference between severe ms and HG. I was just curious if there was ways to prevent it and saw OP ask about Restivat.
    I didn't even know about restivit until this pregnancy . I struggled with no meds with ds2. It worked ok for my hg.

Op you can take it during the day too if it doesn't make you drowsy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I didn't even know about restivit until this pregnancy . I struggled with no meds with ds2. It worked ok for my hg.

Op you can take it during the day too if it doesn't make you drowsy

It's like some little secret in OZ it seems . It's regularly recommended in Canada and the US and in Canada it's the only one approved for pregnancy. I find it really annoying here how much the chemists vary on their knowledge of it, especially when OBs and even the Royal Women's here in Melbourne recommend it. It's category A so I don't really understand why more chemists aren't made aware of the benefits of it.

I've know about it for a while but only because I had horrible insomnia in my last pregnancy and when I googled if Restavit was safe in pregnancy I came across this on the Royal Women's site:

http://www.thewomens.org.au/uploads/...thm_300709.pdf

I've been taking it since about day 3 or 4 of sickness with this pregnancy. I actually don't know how bad I'd be if I didn't take it but do know if I try to lower my nightly dose to half a pill my vomiting the next day is worse/more often than a whole pill that gets me through most of the day.

I think it's worth a try with the B6, good luck OP!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (13-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely worth a try. I found a combo worked better.

Lots of the meds available are like a secret. In usa they have zofran pumps which would help so many women with hg. Gosh even cheaper zofran would help. I couldn't afford it with ds2 so I was in hospital three times and I had lost 10% of my body weight and was told its bad morning sickness go home and take ginger tablets.