View Poll Results: If your labour was induced....

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Labour was induced and child has autism diagnosis

1 3.85%
  • Labour was induced and child does not have autism diagnosis

22 84.62%
  • Was not induced but child has Autism

3 11.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    At the end of the day no one knows why people get Autism, there is a genetic component of course - but that can't just be it, otherwise if one Identical twin had it, the other always would, but they don't. If one ID twin has Autism then chance that the other will have it is about 70% - that suggests genetics but with an environmental trigger.

It can't just be a case of not believing this or that based on ones own experiences - because all the researchers in the world who are working on this very thing don't know what does or doesn't trigger it.
    ^^ this.

I wholeheartedly believe it is genetic, with environmental triggers.

My DD sits on the borderline between autism and aspergers. She was induced with oxytocin. There was no issues with me or her during the pregnancy (no GD, or anything) the reason she was induced is because labour started and failed to progress. After 3 days of it starting and stopping constantly, i agreed to oxytocin inducement. She was healthy and happy in there and i probably should have just waited. But i was sick of it and wanted it to be over! Lol.

DS is NT, he was a spontaneous labour.

I think this a very interesting study. Particularly in view of oxytocin effects and the fact that it is emotion response that is affected in ASD. I realise it is early days and in the end we may not be any closer to an answer, but i think it is important to question and explore all possibilities.

Purely speculation, but it may lead to mothers with a family history of ASD being advised against use of oxytocin. It certainly seems safe enough in other women. Even at this stage in the research, it is enough for me to rethink my birth plan for bub#3 and refuse oxytocin.

I'll be following this with great interest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    ... What's absurd about a drug causing damage?
    Indeed. I just thought of a prime example regarding hormone use:

Although the disease Hypoparathyroidism (too little parathyroid hormone) is usually diagnosed later in life, it is known that it can occur from birth if the mother is on medication to treat Hyperparathyroidism (too much parathyroid hormone). The medication interupts the normal development of the parathyroids in the unborn baby, and they are then left with Hypoparathyroidism for life.

Childrens brains are not fully developed until around the age of 5 years. Is it not reasonable to question if the use of oxytocin (the love hormone) during birth, might interupt the normal brain development in those that are genetically predisposed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting....I was induced with DS, and we are about to start assessments for the possibility of ASD.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced with DD. No autism.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DS was induced and although he has not been diagnosed with ASD there has been a question mark about it as he showed a number of ASD traits (severe speech delay, lack of eye contact, dislike of loud sounds). He has had regular paed assessments to see if he has ASD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was induced with DS (now 8 months) and so far there is no signs of Autism.

Interesting study, I hope they do more research. I was induced because I was 2 weeks overdue. What would be best: wait till I went into labour naturally and risk the complications that come with being so far over due or get induced and possibly risk my ds getting Autism?

I'm glad I didn't read this before my induction. I already have a strong genetic link of Autism in my family, this article wouldn't have helped my anxiety!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's wrong with saying that drugs to induce labour cause 'damage'? I would say the word 'damage'. My son is not damaged because he is on the spectrum. He is actually quite an amazing person. I was induced for my first who is on the spectrum, but I doubt that is why he is on the spectrum. He's certainly not damaged, he just sees and feels the world differently to most.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (22-08-2013),dancingchipmunk  (22-08-2013),MrsLA  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my first and no ASD, she is 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with DS now 4.5 years old. No autism

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't induced with either, neither child shows any traits.

My brother and I were overdue, brother 11 days myself 4 days. Mum wasn't induced. I'm NT but my brother has asperges.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app