+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS has his fathers surname so far we have only had the one issue in regards to having different last names and that was at his FDC she thought he had the same last name as me and entered it incorrectly into the system so we weren't receiving CCB for him but its all fixed now. I've never been given the look maybe because I am quite young and people expect that I have a different last name to DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me, I would revert back to my maiden name, because I probably wouldn't want the link to him and his family if they'd treated me badly. Having said that, I'm a bit non-traditional anyway, in the sense that I won't ever change my surname, and we gave the children my surname instead of DP's (and DP and I are still 'living in sin' ).

Most of my friends are quite traditional, however, and having the same surname is very important to them so I completely respect that too.

Good luck with your decision
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 13-08-2013 at 07:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another one who didn't changed my surname when I got married and don't intend to. I don't have any great love for my surname or anything major against DH's. I just think it's weird to suddenly call yourself another name halfway through your life. Kids have/will have DH's surname. I don't want to make it difficult for them so no hyphenation. So far no dramas with DS who is only 2.5yrs. When asked on the phone or something I just make sure I'm clear that it is mine or DS's name I am talking about.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are not married and have given dd my surname. DP's is French, very hard to spell and pronounce, mine is very common and we thought this would be easier on her growing up. I feel like I often get the 'look', people seem to get confused that he is her father and they have different last names

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natskyn View Post
    We are not married and have given dd my surname. DP's is French, very hard to spell and pronounce, mine is very common and we thought this would be easier on her growing up. I feel like I often get the 'look', people seem to get confused that he is her father and they have different last names
    Mmmm French. Does he speak with an accent :-) Lol!

Sorry to crash!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has ex's surname.

The only issues we have ever had are at appointments where I get called Mrs Ex because they clearly can't read forms. But I have a little chuckle before correcting them as they always pronounce it wrong anyway.

I did have one lady give me attitude once, so when she asked for Mrs Ex, I told her sorry my ex-mil is not here could I help her. Because I'm so mature like that

DS hasn't noticed or if he has he doesn't care. I kinda wished that he had my surname or hyphenated to begin with, but I wouldn't change it now. Its part of who he is now and if he wants to change it later then that's his decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD and DS have DFs surname. I will eventually change to the same surname when we get married when the kids are a bit older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had his fathers' surname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 13-08-2013 at 23:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have kept my maiden name when I married. Couldn't see the point in changing it.

I've had no real hassles at all. Sometimes when making an appointment (eg at the clinic) they will ask for a name and I just say "bubs name is blah blah." They usually then twig that we have separate names and will ask me for mine if they need it.

I haven't found it a pain and I haven't been looked down upon.

In not sure what I will tell DS if he asks when he's older. Perhaps that families come in all shapes and sizes: mum and dad, two dads, two mums, one mum.... And parents with different surnames.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast