+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I didn't change my name either, I didn't see the point, it is such a hassle to change it and at the end of the day, my name suits me better than his.

All the kids have Dhs surname - and no, I have never even been asked about it. I am the main contact for them at school, long day care, medicare, hospitals - no one has ever mentioned it.
    This is me exactly. It's never been a hassle, except with the family assistance office we dealt with years ago who couldn't figure out that the kids were mine.

My girls actually love that I have a different surname and tell people they get to choose when they get older (which isn't anything I've said to them they just figure it that way).

I would never in a million years change my surname.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm not up to this particular issue (yet), Pesca, but just to give you another perspective: I hated my surname growing up. I had nothing to do with my dad and hated being saddled with his name, which was also difficult to spell and pronounce. Even worse, though, I couldn't understand why my mother kept his name when he treated her so poorly. I would have loved her to change it back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did take my husbands name, but if we were ever to split I would go back to my maiden name. It wouldn't worry me that the girls would have his name and I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I did take my husbands name, but if we were ever to split I would go back to my maiden name. It wouldn't worry me that the girls would have his name and I wouldn't.
    This too - if DH and I split I would take back my maiden name. No doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids have my surname, but I don't think DP has had any issues regarding the different names (They all look so much more like him than me, so people can usually tell he's their dad!) But I've always said that they can change their surnames to DP's or hyphenate to include his surname if they want to when they're older.

Just from my perspective as a child - My parents divorced when I was in Primary school and my Mum changed her name back to her maiden name within a couple of years after that. She went on to remarry, but still kept her maiden name.

I was actually quite proud because Mum has always been very independent and I felt it was the right decision for her. I think it helped her move on too. I think the only issues she had was people automatically assuming her surname was the same as mine, when writing it on forms etc.

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think go with what you identify with Pesca, a name is important and you need to be comfortable and feel good with it.
    Yes, I completely agree with this - go with what feels right.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 12-08-2013 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I find it really annoying when I'm making appointments for us. I have to correct them so they get the right names down and there is always an awkward pause on the phone.

Other than that I haven't found any other problems.

I'm pretty sure I will change it when I get married. I can definitely understand why you would want to change yours.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never been an issue, no one's ever batted an eyelid. I reckon half the mums on my DD's year 1 contact list have a different last name to their child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I never changed my name when I got married, and nope, it's never been a hassle. Occasionally people give you a "look" when you tell them your surname is different to your kids. My kids have not noticed but my eldest is not even at school yet.

The thing I find annoying is when my mil, my mum and other friends know that I have not and will not change my name but still address letters to me as Mrs *insert husband's surname here*
    The is my experience as well, except for the "look" - I've never had that. Or if I have I've never noticed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I'm not up to this particular issue (yet), Pesca, but just to give you another perspective: I hated my surname growing up. I had nothing to do with my dad and hated being saddled with his name, which was also difficult to spell and pronounce. Even worse, though, I couldn't understand why my mother kept his name when he treated her so poorly. I would have loved her to change it back.
    That's very interesting, thanks MrsHarvey.

I do hope my boys don't feel that way when older. Despite what he's done, I'm doing everything possible to encourage a healthy relationship between the boys and their father. But one day they will be old enough to understand what he's done and may feel the same way as you did, so it's a good perspective.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has ex's name...DD and I have DH's...it did not start causing issues until this year. DS is really unhappy about it and wants to change his name...which is not going to happen.

I have changed his name at karate and he is happy with that for now.

He feels left out and it makes me really sad