+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Family daycare frustration!!!

DS goes to a fdc 5days a fortnight while I'm at work. He goes for no there reason then I am at work (as is DH and my mum).

I'm a nurse who lives 30odd klm out of town (rural property) and work 7-330, so drop DS off just before 7 and pick up 330-45. I find out that the carer is only working to midday on Thursday. It isn't an option for me to swap days or take the day off (I have zero leave and really need money so can't take leave without pay) I also can't finish work at 12, possibly at 230 but def not at 12. I replied to her txt saying that I needed either full day or nothing, couldn't leave work that early etc etc. I get a txt today saying she will be charging for care until midday Thursday as she is available for work.

There are limited friends I could get to look after Samuel, most of which live 30+ min out of town and wouldn't be able to go to get DS at midday if I sent to fdc for the morning. Even if I got someone in town to have him from 12, I would still need to get him from fdc to the friend. 12 is about the worst time of day to leave work for a few minutes. Also I don't want to disrupt DS, he normally goes to sleep 1230ish so if he went somewhere else at 12 it would just stir him up and he wouldn't sleep (or still be asleep when I pick him up). Both guaranteed ways to have a grumpy sh!tty kid all arvo/night.

If I sent him to a friend all day u have to pay for 2 lots of care - 1/2 day at fdc and for someone else to actually look after DS. So I basically have to be out of pocket $40 odd because my fdc carer wants to go away.

I have no idea what to do, any advice? I would like to change carers but there's oy 1 other fdc in town (no centres) and she's always full up (has a spot in a few months but I will be on maternity leave by then and won't be using care)

Sorry for the ridiculously long post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She might be available for work, but not the others you have mutually agreed to. So if you find someone else for Thursday, there is no way in hell I would be paying her. How much notice has she given you? Totally ridiculous of her to expect you to pay her for a half day when she has left you totally in the lurch.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (12-08-2013),Mopoke  (12-08-2013),~BEXTER~  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I honestly would just take the day off and accept the loss of money, it just sounds so stressful reading what you just wrote, I felt stressed just reading it.

Alternatively can your DH take the day off or half a day?

Hope it somehow works out, your family daycare lady sounds really unfriendly

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (12-08-2013),~BEXTER~  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Hi, I honestly would just take the day off and accept the loss of money, it just sounds so stressful reading what you just wrote, I felt stressed just reading it.

Alternatively can your DH take the day off or half a day?

Hope it somehow works out, your family daycare lady sounds really unfriendly
    If I took the day off not only would I loose my earnings but I would still have to pay for daycare or take him to daycare and have the expense of 2 60klm round trips+ daycare.

Dh can't take the day off - he is a shearer and if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid, it's a full day or nothing for him also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    She might be available for work, but not the others you have mutually agreed to. So if you find someone else for Thursday, there is no way in hell I would be paying her. How much notice has she given you? Totally ridiculous of her to expect you to pay her for a half day when she has left you totally in the lurch.
    That's the funny thing, I only found out on sat night when my workmate was talking about it (her boy goes to the same spot) because the fdc had told her it forgot to tell me. When I txt her asking she said she wasn't sure what she was doing yet, she jet me know today. I'm going to ring the fdc scheme tomorrow to find out if she can charge me. I spoke to another fdc and she said she can but there's no way she would

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a tough situation. Unless you have a friend that can help out, I don't see what else you can do other than take the day off.

I also think it's a bit steep for her to charge you when she is the one changing arrangements at short notice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    If I took the day off not only would I loose my earnings but I would still have to pay for daycare or take him to daycare and have the expense of 2 60klm round trips+ daycare.

Dh can't take the day off - he is a shearer and if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid, it's a full day or nothing for him also.
    I can't believe she is charging you and it's not like you are in the position to refuse as sounds like you need the 'lady' till you start maternity.

Your friend that uses the same FDC, what arrangements has she made? Could you perhaps ask if you could double up with the children?

Sounds stressful big hugs xxxx

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (12-08-2013),Mopoke  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are not going to send him the Thursday, give your 2 weeks notice or whatever is in your parent guidelines/centre guidelines to cancel that day. You will have to pay for the half day for both those two weeks even if you do not send him. As you say contact the scheme but that is what my understanding would be.

Then you can find a friend to look after him and maybe put your name down at the other centre for either just that day or all the days you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    I can't believe she is charging you and it's not like you are in the position to refuse as sounds like you need the 'lady' till you start maternity.

Your friend that uses the same FDC, what arrangements has she made? Could you perhaps ask if you could double up with the children?

Sounds stressful big hugs xxxx
    She swapped days so is working Tuesday and not Thursday. Not sure if she is getting charged for the Thursday or not.

I shouldn't have an issue getting someone else to look after ds but there's no way I want to be paying twice to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about send him to FDC till 11 then have him picked up and he should be all settled again by his 12.30 sleep, at least that way your loss is only an hour?? I just can't think of anyway you are not going to loose money