+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long to wait to do a FET after MC/D&C

I have just been diagnosed with a blighted ovum at 7 weeks and my FS is recommending I try to miscarry naturally before exploring a D&C if needed. I am wondering if anyone else has had this and if so, how long they waited after an MC/D&C to do a FET? I have PCOS with extremely long cycles, so am a bit wary of waiting for months on end for a period to do a FET

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. You could also ask your FS about using medication (misoprostol) to facilitate the miscarriage. Not a pleasant option but neither is a natural mc or a D&C which carries different risks.

I had a D&C following a blighted ovum and unfortunately ended up with scarring to my uterus and cervix (Ashermans syndrome). Not everyone ends up with scarring but a recently pregnant uterus is more vulnerable to it. See sticky on the IVF section for more info. Given your gestation is 7 weeks you are an ideal candidate for medical management if it is available to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you are able to move on with a FET soon. My clinic recommended waiting until after you have 1 normal cycle before starting again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear your sad news. I recently micarried and know that pain all too well.
    Statistically, there is an increased chance of a pregnancy if you cycle back to back after a miscarriage/ D&C. That is worth considering if your emotions can take it.

xoxo
    Fortitude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Starf1sh: Thanks for the advice. He did mention misoprostol, but I think he reckons once I cut off the progesterone, Ralovera and Progynova, my body might take care of it on its own. I have an appointment with him tomorrow and will check with him again. And I read up on the information you provided on Ashermans syndrome - it was very helpful.

Fortitude: Thanks, I really appreciate the support. The advice here on BH has also really helped, as I'm one of those who desperately needs to know what to expect to emotionally prepare myself. I haven't decided if I'll go straight into a FET, but my FS said going on the pill to manage my period after the MC/D&C is an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nightchild,

Sadly I was in the same situation as you just a month ago. The 6 week scan showed a blighted ovum, and had to wait for a 7 week scan to confirm. I was an emotional mess, I was not on any medication either however my body wouldn't miscarry naturally (think it was holding on with dear life to the idea of being pregnant) so I opted for a D&C, knowing the risks (I have one of the best surgeons in Melbourne, so that made me feel 'safer'). I figured I could potentially MC then still need a D&C, so that was also a deciding factor.

On the morning of the D&C I was given 2 Misoprostal tablets to insert to dilate the cervix which makes the operation safer. I had read other stories of people trying Misoprostal to have a MC and not dispelling everything thus needing emergency D&C anyway. Of course, this was from 'googling' so take it with a grain of salt!

Emotionally I just didn't want to wait any longer for a MC to occur as I had no signs of it happening any time soon. I have to say, just an hour or so after the operation I noticed my ability to control my emotions improved ten-fold and I just felt better; it was the right choice for me.

I've been told I have to wait for a full cycle, so waiting for my first period to come, then after a cycle I can start FET on my second period. It was 3 weeks ago I had the D&C and still no signs of any period (I'm normally 32 days like clockwork). I guess my body is just slowly winding down the pregnancy hormones. I couldn't bear the thought of waiting even longer for a natural MC as I would still have to wait a full cycle, which would stretch out our next FET even further.

Whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and if you ever need to chat to someone who knows exactly what you're going through, send me a message!

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loolu: Thanks for sharing your story. It is so similar to mine - it's a comfort to know I'm not the only one out there who has experienced this.

Last week's appointment was a mindbender. FS found a heartbeat, so it isn't a blighted ovum as he initially thought, but it was too slow (50) and size was only 6.5 weeks when it should've been 8 weeks. We decided to stop support medication and see what happened. The appointment yesterday showed the heart is still going slowly, but no growth, indicating a non-progressive pregnancy with a chromosomal abnormal foetus.

My FS did think I showed early signs of bleeding in the scan, but said my body might reabsorb it. We're giving it another week to see if I can miscarry naturally, but in the meantime booked a D&C for next Friday. He has given me 2 Misoprostal tablets as well. Fingers crossed I come out of this ok.