+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default At my wits end with the dog barking!!!

We adopted an abused border collie x greyhound from the RSPCA 6 years ago, and no matter what we have tried, puppy school etc, dog walkers - you name it, it hasn't worked... all he does it bark all day.. I am so sick of it, and have been for a long time.. even tho we are home, no matter how much attention/walking/playtime/stimulation we give him, he just keeps doing it. He even barks with a dog collar on.. He barks at strangers down the street, people walking past, and it is driving me batty.

I am shocked nobody has put a complaint in, I was telling a neighbour that I wished to get rid of the dog but she begged that we don't because it makes her and other neighbours feel safe.. (we have 3 surrounding neighbours in their 80's..).. but seriously, even tho he's a lovely dog, it is just doing my head in.. badly. DH doesn't want to get rid of it, but I am beginning to hate the dog. any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm it's tough but they say they only bark for a reason. What exactly does he bark 'at'?? Does he get walked/taken to the park daily? Does he come inside? Border collies are farm dogs so need a lot of stimulation and greyhounds are obviously built to run so I guess he's a high maintenance dog in that respect. If you don't mind spending some $ there are dog trainer type people that can come to your house, assess the situation and work with you and the dog to make it work better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess the downside with adopting is that you be we really know the history of the dog either

Thanks
    Reviews
    He gets stimulated a lot, and we make sure he gets walked daily and even take him to dog parks very regularly too, the weird thing is, he doesn't rip plants out or try to jump the fence or anything, he just barks at nothing in particular.. or if there is anything to bark at - there is a person visiting another person in the street and barks cos they are strangers.. he gets his fur standing up on his back like he has been spooked.. I said to my dh that I don't know how the neighbours can listen to it.. but It drives me nutty.. apparently the previous owners used to hit him hard all the time.. which is awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a last resort you can get a barking collar. There are citronella one or ones that give a electric shock. We have a dog who barks constantly in the car so we got a shock collar for her, it was the best thing we ever did!! We don't even need to use it now. Good luck finding a solution as its a hard habit to break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grans border collie used to bark all the time too, every time a plane went over which was about 15 times a day and at birds or just nothing. I guess we just got used to it and the neighbours never complained as again they were old too and liked having a dog on the street. She was inside all day and able to get out when she wanted but to me it was normal border behaviour with the guarding and watching constantly what was going on around her. On the farm our border was much the same but no neighbours to annoy.
    You could try a citronella collar , it sprays a mist of citronella every time they bark to deter them , although I don't know how this affects the dog in the long run as to how they would react to a stranger in the yard and if they would still bark or be too scared to.
    Shock collars should be banned if not already, that's just cruel.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 11-08-2013 at 15:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is a citronella collar different to a electric one? we have an electric one, but he still barks with it fully charged.. it is the second one we have tried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You adopted a farm dog.

You can walk a farm dog as much as you like. For the most part, that's not enough, particularly for boarder collies. They're working dogs, which means they like to run and herd things. And yes, they bark too. And then you've got a racing breed mixed in there. A dog park isn't enough.

Give it to a farm.