+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best Toilet Training Tips and ideas.

Please share your best toilet traiting tips and ideas for everyone to read

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subscribing

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Cold turkey always worked for us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

B00ts  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my DS I'd put him on the toilet every nappy change, before and after bath and soon after woke up. This was when he wasn't liking nappies once done poo and he was wanting to take his nappy off. I then tried twice to do undies but he just wasn't ready. Then 2mths before his 3rd birthday, I tried again and this time it clicked. There were a few accidents the first few days but soon he was doing wees on toilet without me taking him or telling him. At night time I used a nappy and then after a week I moved to nappy pants. By the third week he was day and night trained.
    After that every now and then he didn't make it to the toilet of a morning in time but he got better.
    He's 4.5yrs now and I'm still having to make sure he wipes properly when poo because he gets a rash if not clean well. But apart from that he's great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are tt our 2.5 yo now. We just started with him chosing some jocks, then put them on for an hour or so after a bath, had the potty around, pretty low key around his birthday.

We have followed this, and when we wanted to try a bit harder, I got a tube of mini mnms... Not ideal... But when he uses the potty he gets 3 or 4, with a huge hug and kiss and we make a huge deal if it, he usually wants to call nanny on the phone to tell her.
    once he was used to tge smartie, we stopped offering them, but do the rest...if he asks ill give him them but don't offer them out now....if that makes sense.

He decided thursday that he was ready....had been in jocks since (apart from sleeps) and hasn't had an accident yet. He even took himself to the potty last night and done his first ever poo!

I'm just going with his lead. I know he can do it, but im not going to force it.... Its working for us so far! He stops playing and runs for the potty, rips his clothes off, sits himself down, and does his business on his own.

I probably should add, he has great language and understanding....it may be harder if a colds isn't as verbal...as he says "mum I need do wees on potty"

We are yet to venture our of the house or to childcare yet though.

I used to work in childcare with toddlers, and I do believe its easiest when they are ready. I seen one particular family struggle for months, their son knew but wasnt ready...but they insisted we try. He would hold on all day and remain dry, he would refuse to go.....but he then flood his carseat without fail, each night on the way home. They gave up after a few weeks of this, and only a few months later he asked to user the toilet/potty, and never had an accident after.

My biggest tips... Clothing! They are still learning to hold on/let go....so try to make it easy for them to be successfully independent. track pants are perfect. Jeans/overalls/leggings/tights, while cute, are too hard for them to remove in time. Also, make sure their underwear isn't too tight as its hard to get down too. And avoid body suits/singlet suits that clip in the crotch for the same reason.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 11-08-2013 at 09:40.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

B00ts  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are starting with my 2.5yr old today, just day training, nappy for sleep only. She is just in her "new big girl undies". No pants. Using stickers as rewards for pulling undies down and sitting on the potty. She got the hang of that with an hour ...now waiting for the hard part...wee in the potty!! for that she gets a new book ($1 dora books From target are GREAT)
    I have no plans for the next two weeks and am prepared to stay home at all costs untill she gets it. However she will go to daycare (1 day a week) in undies and i hope they will encourage her. whatever happens at daycare, stays at daycare. If they put her in a nappy, thats fine, but we dont do this at home.
    I can only encourage and praise. if i feel she's just not getting it after 2 weeks, i will have a break and try again later on. No pressure here.
    Certainly not making a big deal if she wee's outside the potty (as in no punishment just a "oops, we'll try get the potty next time"). plenty of paper toewl on hand and about 35 pairs of undies haha
    Last edited by B00ts; 11-08-2013 at 10:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a great way to go!
    when ds has accidents its usually an "oops, oh dear, lets clean it up and get you some clean pants" and he would normaly ask for a nappy.

He still sometimes wees over the side of the potty (hasnt quite got the hang of pointing himself south yet), but I ignore it and clean it up after. The fact he was sitting there, and had done it is good enough for me!

We have got 2 pottys and a step/seat thing for the toilet. Go figure he prefers the $6 kmart potty over the $50 lightening mcqueen one that makes noises and his $20 step thing.

The lightening mcqueen potty is useless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Sounds like a great way to go!
    when ds has accidents its usually an "oops, oh dear, lets clean it up and get you some clean pants" and he would normaly ask for a nappy.

He still sometimes wees over the side of the potty (hasnt quite got the hang of pointing himself south yet), but I ignore it and clean it up after. The fact he was sitting there, and had done it is good enough for me!

We have got 2 pottys and a step/seat thing for the toilet. Go figure he prefers the $6 kmart potty over the $50 lightening mcqueen one that makes noises and his $20 step thing.

The lightening mcqueen potty is useless

yes we have 2 potty's too. both cheapies. Kmart one is great and at only $6 - bargain!
    today we had 1 accident this morning and that was it, she has used the potty all day, even without me reminding her about it. the sticker rewards are doing their job! not to mentuion im so proud of my little girl for the 1st day of TT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing..