+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My 16 month olds routine & return to work

Been a while since I posted! Still suffering through sleep deprivation with our 16mo, it improves from me persevering & then gets worse again from external factors. Anyways I have a job interview this week to return to work fulltime and would appreciate any insight.

Currently DS sleeps from 7-6am (1-6 night wakings) and is bf x 3 times a day, early morning, naptime around 11-12 which lasts between 1-2 hours (more like 1-1.5 hours usually) & then bf at bedtime. I usually bf him to sleep which I totally love but can see many advantages to not doing so..such as me gaining more time & encouraging DS to self settle. I need to be more proactive with bf until he is sleepy & placing him in cot while he is still awake. He has approx 200ml of cows milk in a sippycup supplemented with other dairy.

So many questions:
    Returning to work I would love to continue to offer a bf for his nap but it is probably more appropriate to wean him off this feed..best way to wean him from this bf & cuddling him to sleep?

Should I introduce another form of comfort for sleeptime such as a bottle or sippy cup?

DS shares a room with his sibling so bedtime maybe difficult as they share a bedtime. I usually bf in my bed so no distractions. I could possibly get a chair for my room?

What other things could I introduce for comfort or establish as part of a new routine before I do go back to work? DS is very attached.
    Am seeing big improvement in self settling but I am still doing ALOT of rocking/singing/patting throughout the night which I would like to eliminate totally! (We do not wish to do CIO though)
    Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarplumMummy For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump
    Last edited by SugarplumMummy; 14-08-2013 at 15:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    not sure this would be much help but you could always express some milk so he gets breastmilk before his nap time? It's so wonderful that you can still breastfeed. Alternatively you can just move him to cow's milk for that nap time feed and then still breastfeed for morning and evening bedtime?

I had to wean my little one off breast milk very suddenly due to some personal factors but basically from about 11 months he was on two feeds a day, and then within the space of one week when he was nearly 13 months, I transitioned him to sippy cup.

So what I did over the one week when we went from breast to sippy cup was:
    Day 1 & 2: start milk feed with sippy cup. He had a bit, then didn't want it. So I didn't put any pressure on him at all, just said Ok and then offered 1st breast. After first breast, offered sippy cup of cow's milk again but made no fuss if he didn't want to try it.

Day 3 and 4: Same thing, but with a lot more encouragement to drink from the sippy cup.

Day 5 and 6: By then he was quite used to the idea, so he had quite a bit from the sippy cup before he gawked. Then I only fed him from one side.

Day 7: full feed only from sippy cup.

It gave my breasts time to adjust to the change as well. He now has about 100ml cow's milk in the morning and 150ml cow's milk at night. During the day he has some yoghurt, cheese and milk. The yoghurt I give him is Yoplait Petit Miam which says that in one tub it's 50 percent RDI for calcium and vitamin D.

The only comforter my little one has is a blankie. Not sure if that is the sort of answer you were looking for. Anyway sorry I can't suggest anything else in terms of sleep arrangements as I only have the one baby to worry about. Will definitely be harder with a sibling so I wish you luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went back to work (DD was just 1 year then) I left heaps of expressed milk, sippy cups etc. so she could have a feed before bed as normal- she didn't want it but went to sleep quite happily. I've heard other mums say too that their nubs by that age only wanted feeds if they saw them and were fine not having them if mum was at work or not around. All the best xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP i have always breastfeed my now 21 month old ds to sleep,i was planning to do so untill he is 2, but recently found out I am pregnant with no2 and thought i'd better wean him now than later. Please dont judge me, personal reasons.

This is what i did with feeding to sleep, at his sleep time, I told him booby was sick and needed a rest, he understood but still got quite upset. First day, I rocked him to sleep , it took me about 1 hour. second day, i could not really handle rocking him for that long, so I just sat on the chair and cuddled him and patted him on the back, it took a bit longer than half an hour . Today was the third day for him not going to sleep without booby and for nap and night time sleep it just took me for about 20 minutes.

I am still offering him bf during the night when he wakes up, but i am also planning on gradually cutting these feeds so that I can wean him completely. But in your situation, I think dont stress too much about bub's sleep without you breastfeeding. My ds started childcare about two months ago and I also thought about breaking his habit of feeding to sleep so that he could better got used to there. But, it was too stressful for me and for him as well, so i did not change anything about it. Suprisingly, he got used to sleep there without me with the staff rocking the cot, and he now sleeps for a good one or two hours there. So, dont stress about that.

Best Luck !

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 26-08-2013 at 07:28.