+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Ham will freeze and is a crap load cheaper from the deli than in those little packs.

DS loves this (and so do I) http://thesuzchef.blogspot.com.au/20...ana-bread.html

I'll see if I can find it, I had a recipe for a pasta frittata thingy that DS loved too.

ETA: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2708...able+frittatas
    But as is it would lack flavour to us so we added onion and garlic. DS doesn't eat capsicum either so we changed up what vege went in it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Chunkydunks; 10-08-2013 at 23:09.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try storing ham in a Tupperware container with paper towel. It lasts much longer. Just buy whatever's in special from the deli and store it as soon a you get home.!
    You could also cook once, eat twice.
    A roast chicken does us for 3 different meals. Roast and veg, left over meat for sandwiches/soup. Carcass for soup/stock. Things like that. A free range chock from our butcher is $10.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buy things that you can stretch far. For example I buy 500g of mince, add grated carrot, onion, mushrooms, garlic & pasta sauce... And I can divide that across 3 meals. Sausages is another thing you can buy cheap that you can do a lot with...

When my son was young I was using chux as baby wipes cause I didn't want to use any products on his skin. Just have a bowl in the nursery and everything you go for a change fill it with warm water. It definitely saved us a lot of money.... As we go through a lot of wipes now.

Buy cloth nappies.

Conserve electricity where you can. E.g stop using dryer, switch off power points when you aren't using them.

Definitely cut out the prepacked school snacks. They are so expensive. Buy rice crackers that you can usually get for $2 and cut up cheese to go with them.

Review all your expenses. E.g if you have austar, do you really need it? Can you get your insurance any cheaper? Etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Try storing ham in a Tupperware container with paper towel. It lasts much longer. Just buy whatever's in special from the deli and store it as soon a you get home.!
    You could also cook once, eat twice.
    A roast chicken does us for 3 different meals. Roast and veg, left over meat for sandwiches/soup. Carcass for soup/stock. Things like that. A free range chock from our butcher is $10.
    I tend to only cook what we need when its just the kids and I. Or I'll do a few bulk cooks and just reheat for meals. When dp is home we cook differently. If we have a roast b or silverside ill make frittersb the next day or just have the same meal again. I'd there a way to cook bulk cabonara/alfredo to freeze? The kids love those packets. Also is buying to cook in bulk expensive. We really only have $300 for the fn so I can't spend up to cook and freezer if that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I tend to only cook what we need when its just the kids and I. Or I'll do a few bulk cooks and just reheat for meals. When dp is home we cook differently. If we have a roast b or silverside ill make frittersb the next day or just have the same meal again. I'd there a way to cook bulk cabonara/alfredo to freeze? The kids love those packets. Also is buying to cook in bulk expensive. We really only have $300 for the fn so I can't spend up to cook and freezer if that makes sense.

We generally spend arouns$150 a fn on groceries with a couple of top ups during the week. I will usually on one day make up a few different meal. I usually do 500g mince in the slow cooker and bulk it out with crushed tomatoes tomato soup etc to make a bolognaise and we can usually freeze 3 nights worth out of that. (I think 500g mince is $3 at coles) then il usually do a chicken stirfry or chicken tonight type thing or 2 500g of chicken thighs on each bout $8-9 a kilo and frozen veg etc.
    these make easy meals for nights I work til 6 or just days where we are busy we always have something healthy and saves us running out for take away

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think another thing that's costs to much is ds1s night nappies. He is being really stubborn with night training. We use Hughes dry nights i think they are. I tried using the biggest cloth nappies a have but they don't fit him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy12 View Post
    With your ds yoghurt can you buy a big tub and divvy up into containers I find this is cheaper than the little tubs and can add your own fruit/tinned fruit to mix it up. I also find you can get a longer use by date on the big tubs than the little ones (I find we usually waste a few cos a week use by on 12 tubs etc)
    http://www.pouched.com.au/pouch-packs
    I use these for 'squeezies'. Ican make a 100ml squeexie for about 30c. Much better than $1.50.
    Buy bulk where you can. Do you have a cash and carry where you are? I get all my staples (flour, sugar, bicarb, breadcrumbs etc) at the cash and carry. Heaps cheaper. Shop around...if you go to the super markets at the end of the day there is usually marked down breads and meats. IGA is really good for this.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/di...g/ht/wipes.htm
    Last edited by loislane2010; 11-08-2013 at 00:27.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would cut put the dry nights and use the jumbo sized Coles or Woolies brand disposables- that will save a few dollars a week- we moved my neice back to nappies from dry nights and she got really angry and said I'm not a baby and toilet trained in 3 nights. We have also never bought disposable wipes. I have 50 face washers (3 in nappies) that I just wash with my nappies- when we recently went on holidays and I bought nappies and wipes we spent over $100 that week and I think $20 was wipes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the baby love pull ups or night pants were cheaper than Huggies from memory & they worked just as well for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    I would cut put the dry nights and use the jumbo sized Coles or Woolies brand disposables- that will save a few dollars a week- we moved my neice back to nappies from dry nights and she got really angry and said I'm not a baby and toilet trained in 3 nights. We have also never bought disposable wipes. I have 50 face washers (3 in nappies) that I just wash with my nappies- when we recently went on holidays and I bought nappies and wipes we spent over $100 that week and I think $20 was wipes.
    And I'm pretty sure. Actually positive coles sell comfy bots nappy pants which would be a lot cheaper and I know there nappies have a good following and heaps Recommend them so might be worth a try?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (11-08-2013)