+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't eat lots of meat, I'd rather av paste of rice and vegies. So the meat only gets used once a week. Or I'll buy in bulk and divide it up. One chicken breast will feed the three of us and I'll only cook two sausages at a time because I don't eat them.

I'll do a wander around my house and write a list of things I can change and get started next week.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post

So would a bread maker and yogurt maker be worth the money? We only use a loaf a week for ds1s school lunches.

If your DS is taking yogurt most days then I'd say yes. Bread, maybe not. The hb one is only $1 for white or $1.50 for wholemeal/multigrain.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    If your DS is taking yogurt most days then I'd say yes. Bread, maybe not. The hb one is only $1 for white or $1.50 for wholemeal/multigrain.

I'll look on my bss page for a yogurt maker then. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I have the easi-yo homemade yoghurt. You just buy the powder sachet for about $3.50, add water, shake then put in the container overnight and it makes 1kg. It does work out heaps cheaper and some like greek and honey are almost as good as Jalna, it's preservative free with lots of flavours. The downside though, is that I find in the winter it doesn't set properly so I buy the bought 1kg tubs. You live in a warm climate so it should be fine, it gets very cold here in winter.

As to the bread maker - I have used it on and off for a few years and lots when I had DS on the failsafe diet. The upside is, is very yummy. The downside is, it's a PITA and doesn't last long. It takes around 3 hours to make a loaf that is roughly half the size of supermarket bread. It also goes stale VERY quickly bc of no preservatives. So you either have to eat in within a day or chuck it out. I found this aspect meant it really wasn't that much cheaper.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Di you have an aldi near by? If so they had one for $25 not long ago. Or you can get an easyo at woolies for about the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Di you have an aldi near by? If so they had one for $25 not long ago. Or you can get an easyo at woolies for about the same.

No aldi close, nearest one is about 4hrs away. Wow, that cheap for a yogurt maker. That would be good.

We tend to use one loaf fresh then freeze the other loaf. Id love fresh bread and it would probably get used better. The fresh one we get us borderline stale by the end if the week so if the maker makes then smaller I could do two a week or when needed. Though are the ingredients expensive?

I might just do a few things at a time and are how we go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suck at cooking so cant see myself doing everything from scratch. DP is away fifo half a fortnight so our budget is $300 a f/n for two kids and one adult one week and 2kids, 2 adults the other week. Last shopping we spent $180 for the f/n though. DS1 gets sandwiches, fruit, one treat (tiny teddies or shapes, HB, bought in a box and divvied out). A yogurt and a cheap popper for his school lunch.
    Could you look at not having any pre packaged food? It's so expensive. Even if you made a basic cake mix and a 24 mini muffin tray and froze them? Teddies/shapes/yoghurt and poppers aren't very budget friendly not to mention unhealthy. I bought a heap of "squeezies". I make my own yoghurt and refill those.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Could you look at not having any pre packaged food? It's so expensive. Even if you made a basic cake mix and a 24 mini muffin tray and froze them? Teddies/shapes/yoghurt and poppers aren't very budget friendly not to mention unhealthy. I bought a heap of "squeezies". I make my own yoghurt and refill those.
    We have started eating more healthier since dd has started eating to avoid preservatives added salt etc so are Making more foods simply and from scratch. This has affected out food bill so much that I was scratching my head last week trying to work out what on earth I had been forgetting to buy the past month or so because the shopping had been so cheap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    No aldi close, nearest one is about 4hrs away. Wow, that cheap for a yogurt maker. That would be good.

We tend to use one loaf fresh then freeze the other loaf. Id love fresh bread and it would probably get used better. The fresh one we get us borderline stale by the end if the week so if the maker makes then smaller I could do two a week or when needed. Though are the ingredients expensive?

I might just do a few things at a time and are how we go.

This is a fairly basic whole meal recipe http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1827...eal-bread.aspx . I can't see it being too expensive, especially if you buy in bulk. When I was buying a plowmans bread mix it was about $1.70 a loaf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Definitely open to ideas for kids lunches. My boys are incredibly fussy. I've tried mini quiches and savoury muffins with no luck. He really only gets a couple of shapes/ teddies as a treat for school. At home they have fruit or sandwiches. I'll swap the yogurtb overt, I hate buying the little tubs anyway so the squeezy things would be great. I'll try the water bottle again, the last four I sent went missing.

Does Ham freeze? I usually buy the little packets of ham which are expensive because ds1 only has it for school and if I buy a big pack it goes off.