+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I would cut out the poppers for school. Not sure if buying sponges instead of paper towel would be cheaper. You can always wash in washing machine or clean the sponge in disinfectant.
    Sponges/cloths always go soggy. We use paper towels for everything, they are the viva ones so can be reused several times. Dp would be lost without them lol.

I tried giving ds water bottles instead but they always went missing and were never returned. I buy cheap ones that are $2.50 for six so only $5 a f/n. Ill give the water bottles another go though.

We usually cook steak and 3veg when dp is home. When he isnt i buy things like sausages and divide them up for several days. Or when DP is home and we cook something i make a little bit extra to freeze for a meal for me during the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    popcorn is the cheapest snack
    at coles Riviana Popcorn Popping Corn 375g $1.55 it goes a very long way.

if you make the 100 cookies recipe up and freeze the dough in logs to cook up whenever you want some. add variety to it by adding things like milo or chocolate chips, cornflakes, dried fruit, nuts , home brand smarties etc,
    recipe 1 tin of condensed milk, one stick or butter creamed and add 5 cups of sr flour. make 100 small biscuits.

Cut your own steaks, stir-fry and casseroles pork, beef and chicken are all cheaper that way,

Do a up big cook up on the day ir day after you shop. You will find you will save time and money. There is a lot less waste on veg this way. You won't be temped to buy takeout if you have healthy meals in the freezer. Even if you just double a meal and freeze half.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (11-08-2013),jagamoe  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Cheap meal and easy is cooked sausages, spaghetti and pasta sauce. Can last a few days as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    popcorn is the cheapest snack
    at coles Riviana Popcorn Popping Corn 375g $1.55 it goes a very long way.

if you make the 100 cookies recipe up and freeze the dough in logs to cook up whenever you want some. add variety to it by adding things like milo or chocolate chips, cornflakes, dried fruit, nuts , home brand smarties etc,
    recipe 1 tin of condensed milk, one stick or butter creamed and add 5 cups of sr flour. make 100 small biscuits.

Cut your own steaks, stir-fry and casseroles pork, beef and chicken are all cheaper that way,

Do a up big cook up on the day ir day after you shop. You will find you will save time and money. There is a lot less waste on veg this way. You won't be temped to buy takeout if you have healthy meals in the freezer. Even if you just double a meal and freeze half.

DS1 doesnt eat biscuits. We do vegie shopping on the week DP is home so it all gets eaten. I use frozen vegies when he isnt home (HB).

We are getting a cow done soon so will be set for meat. No takeaway close by (40min to town). So thats ok. I have lots of soups in the freezer at the moment. I also have two very large pumpkins that i need to use soon :/

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Those steaks will be killing you! The cow will probably save you loads of money. We eat very little meat. We eat meat 4-6 times a week but always cheap cuts and really tiny amounts. I bulk up all my meals with loads of veggies and legumes. Honestly, learning to cook some cheap meals from scratch is going to save you a fortune.
    Are there other areas you can save? Unnecessary car trips? DS clothes? I've joined my local buy swap sell FB page and buy from op shops and eBay. I don't think my kids will be wearing new clothes ever again. This week I got 2 pairs of airflex sandals brand new for $10 on my BSS page, and an Oobi dress for $12 off eBay. And sold 2 grobags on eBay for $15 each, so I've come out even.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With your ds yoghurt can you buy a big tub and divvy up into containers I find this is cheaper than the little tubs and can add your own fruit/tinned fruit to mix it up. I also find you can get a longer use by date on the big tubs than the little ones (I find we usually waste a few cos a week use by on 12 tubs etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Those steaks will be killing you! The cow will probably save you loads of money. We eat very little meat. We eat meat 4-6 times a week but always cheap cuts and really tiny amounts. I bulk up all my meals with loads of veggies and legumes. Honestly, learning to cook some cheap meals from scratch is going to save you a fortune.
    Are there other areas you can save? Unnecessary car trips? DS clothes? I've joined my local buy swap sell FB page and buy from op shops and eBay. I don't think my kids will be wearing new clothes ever again. This week I got 2 pairs of airflex sandals brand new for $10 on my BSS page, and an Oobi dress for $12 off eBay. And sold 2 grobags on eBay for $15 each, so I've come out even.
    Dp is really fussy with meat . I told him off last shop. We bought bulk chicken and mince, sausages ect to portion up and freeze. We also bought cheap roasts and silversides as they last a few days here once cooked. I was lucky enough to be gifted size 0000-4 in boys clothes so i dont need to worry about that yet. When i do ill be buying off BSS though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy12 View Post
    With your ds yoghurt can you buy a big tub and divvy up into containers I find this is cheaper than the little tubs and can add your own fruit/tinned fruit to mix it up. I also find you can get a longer use by date on the big tubs than the little ones (I find we usually waste a few cos a week use by on 12 tubs etc)
    Ill try this. I use the tupperware lunchbox so it has separate compartments so i dont use cling wrap or anything. Both the boys eat the yogurt so ill definitely buy a big tub next time. Though im not sure how much they will eat of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Ill try this. I use the tupperware lunchbox so it has separate compartments so i dont use cling wrap or anything. Both the boys eat the yogurt so ill definitely buy a big tub next time. Though im not sure how much they will eat of it.
    Or you can buy reusable pouches to make the kids their own squeezy yoghurts then you just rinse them out and refill. My kids are obsessed with these

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-08-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    Or you can buy reusable pouches to make the kids their own squeezy yoghurts then you just rinse them out and refill. My kids are obsessed with these
    Oh yes I've bought these and they are a huge hit in this house!