+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Phi confusion

I'm due in march, but my 12 month wait is up October. Does this mean I can't go private? I'm really confused.

I switched covers and still waiting for clearance forms I won't be paying the gap payment is it until 20 weeks. My obs is tomorrow that's all.

*freaking out*

Idammed

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on your health fund but when I was dealing with admissions a few years ago, if the baby is born before your waiting period is up then you're not covered by the health fund. You can still go private but you'll just have to pay for it yourself.

The going rate in regional nsw was $3500 for a vaginal delivery and $5000 for a CS. If bub is born and no complications then there is no charge for their stay but if the need to go to nicu, the cost was $724 per day for the first four days then $547 per day for days 5-7 and then $200ish for each day after that.

This is just for the hospital, this doesn't include your obgyn or anaesthetist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will call first thing.

I hated my experience at my hospital and the other hospital has given me bad experience too 😔 I think i am doing process of elimination here!!

Fingers crossed I'm covered if not our house is on hold!

Idammed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!!! (I prob will have complications being 10 n half month gap :/)

Idammed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my phi I was told so long as bubs is born after your waiting period is up then you're covered, you can get pregnant etc before the waiting period!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ring your private health.

i had a mini panic attack about going public with dd2 and rang a fair few phi and they each said as long as the baby was born after the waiting period it's fine! Didn't help me though

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you only switched covers you should void the waiting period if you had already surpassed it in your previous cover. We just looked into switching covers recently and they all assured me we would be covered immediately for the baby (I am due in December). Just give your PHI a call first thing to put your mind at ease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm covered they waive the waiting period from existing fund! Just waiting for my paper work thankfully

Then need them to write a letter so my obs have it on hand so hospital can't say a thing if anything happens hehe my receptionist at my obs rooms was very helpful!

Idammed

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news!