+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In WA children born after July 1st start school the following year. My DD was born in the latter half of the year and while it hasn't done her any harm at all (as her teachers are challenging her academically) she could easily have started the year before.

My son on the other hand... He also was born in the latter half of the year. HE was not ready at all. In fact he has started Kindergarten this year 2 1/2 days. and is coping really well academically and socially but still not adjusting to the separation anxiety, even this far into the year! I couldn't imagine him being at school last year. He could barely speak then! He would not have coped at all.

I do worry about my DD turning 18 right before Tertiary entrance examinations! No you can not drink, or go clubbing UNTIL you finish highschool, even though you are legally an adult who can vote... I am sure we will manage. Just.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I just think schooling should be how it used to be in that everyone born in the same year were in the same year at school.
    When was that though? I had people in my year born the year before me, and the year after me, and I went to school ages ago

I don't want my children finishing school when they are 16, like some queen slanders do, I just think it is too young. Unless she is super bright and socially ready, my February baby will be held back - a bit hard to tell yet as she is only 1. Qld cut off is June 30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is all ridiculous

IMHO, all of Australia should all have the same name for the first year of school and the same cut off.
    Agree! It must make it so hard for people shifting states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't ever remember it being like that. I'm on NSW so could be different in other states?
    It was always like that in WA up until it changed only a few years ago, not sure exactly when. Ds has a lot of friends he went to daycare with but whom were born in August so they go to school the year after him. Bit silly when they turn the same age in the same year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It was always like that in WA up until it changed only a few years ago, not sure exactly when. Ds has a lot of friends he went to daycare with but whom were born in August so they go to school the year after him. Bit silly when they turn the same age in the same year.

Quite a few years ago now. The first batch of children are in highschool. How quickly time flies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think the first year should be for kids who are 5 OR 6 that year, depending on how ready they are. That's what happened when I started school in Vic in 1990. We all spent a day at school, had interviews and testing and stuff... and then they decided who was ready to start and who wasn't. I was ready at 4 turning 5 in March... the girl who turned out to be my best friend that year had been asked to wait another year the year before, so she started the same year as me, when she was 5 turning 6 in April.

It all worked out fine.

The only crap thing was that eventually, we both actually ended up in Qld later on. Because it was age-based up here, she was in year 7... I was in year 6... despite Qld Year 6 being pretty much the same as SA year 5... which I had already done... my brother was the same. Because he started age 5 turning 6, when we moved up here, he skipped a grade. We'd always been two years apart in schooling until we moved up here... then he went into grade 5, I went into grade 6... just based on age. So if he had completed all of his schooling, he'd have done only 12 years... I did 13. It's pretty dumb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is true for Victoria. Each state has their own cut off.
    Oh thanks! I'm in Vic