+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is a December baby and he will start the year after turning 5. I was the youngest in my class all through school and it became a real isdue socially when I was about 14. I entered the year as a 13 year old while some kidsvwhere already 15. It just got worse from there. ..my poor mum.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly if I could 'move' the kids birthdays I'd make it later in the year.

They are both May babies.

Ds1 repeated prep. I tried to delay him starting but education qld obviously knowns best

Ds2 is due to start prep next year and I'm worried.

I personally do not agree with 4 year olds going to school. But that's just based on my personal experience.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't say about my bub but I was born just before the cut off and was held back til the following year anyway and it was horrible, I was bored and ended up a poo student and falling behind but I think it depends on the child, not their age.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have an August DS who started school in the year he turned 6, he is doing well.

I have never heard about kids having issues from school because they turned 6 in kindy rather than 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I can't say about my bub but I was born just before the cut off and was held back til the following year anyway and it was horrible, I was bored and ended up a poo student and falling behind but I think it depends on the child, not their age.

Sent from my talky stick
    Same. I felt I had more in common with people in the year above me at various times, particularly during high school. There were people in my year who were 15 months younger than me, and I remember thinking they were really immature at times! Academically I was just plain bored. My teachers had enough work to do keeping the rest of the class up to speed so there was nothing else for me to do.
    Probably this is why I'm keen to send DD (who's also born just before the cut off) earlier rather than later. I know every kid's different but I felt being held back was more a negative rather than positive experience for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Age has nothing to do with intelligence. It's more about maturity, social skills, loads of other things. Academics is not even something I consider when thinking if sending a child early or not.

I had a girl in my class once who was way younger than others (was put into the wrong year when she moved interstate) and she was by far the smartest in the class. She was a lot less mature than the other kids and cried easily over small things. When I realised her birthday (October when cut off is July in NSW) it made sense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher I find the opposite. It's more the younger ones that have behavioural problems or social problems especially those that went and got tested and forced to start early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's interesting hearing the different states perspective on things --- from what I've read in this thread, it sounds like the cut off date in QLD is July, & the general consensus seems to be wanting their kids to start early (ie wanting babies born in the first half of the year).....when I lived in Melbourne, it was the opposite -- people were more inclined to want to hold their kids back a year....

We're back in Adelaide now & they've only just introduced the concept of one school intake this year, so it's all pretty new to us!

I find it weird that the cut off dates are different state by state - here it's May (I think??), QLD July, etc.....why aren't they the same???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In qld it is June. Nsw is July. Victoria is April. I think it should be April everywhere. Anything after term 1 is too young. Even then, I think it's too much to expect most 4 year olds to sit for long periods and listen.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-08-2013),dancingchipmunk  (12-08-2013),Monkey'sMummy  (12-08-2013),River Song  (12-08-2013)