+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Schooling for children born in the 2nd half of the year

Are there any issues with children born after the June cut off going to school in the following year? My DH has been told that these kids get bored and have behavioural problems. i have never heard of this. He is so set on it that he wants us to be preg by the end of September or then wait until April next year to ttc. Umm what the!! I am a little shocked at this suggestion!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I would think it depends on the kid. I was born in June but started school when I was older, I loved it. Its great to be independant once you finish school too. My poor brother started young (born in March) and Dad had to drive him to uni for the first few weeks...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Well my july baby hasnt started school yet (he is 3) but it really depends on the child. My oldest was more than ready to start prep at 4.5 and is thriving but my middle child wont start until he is 5.5 and I am so grateful he will be starting later as he is nowhere near ready yet.

I would definitely not plan my TTC around it though. You may end up with a may baby who has to go to school early that isn't ready, and that's worse IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My August born thrived. She was ready for school and was able to take everything on board. My second is before June cut off and is struggling at the moment with little things and is due to start prep next year. I worry for her. She has zero attention span and still needs a rest after a big morning.

Personally I prefer the after cut off, I feel they are more ready. Personally. I may even hold my second back because I don't feel she is mature or ready for that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonezart For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the individual child. What if you had a may/june baby? They would then be the youngest in the class and may struggle to keep up.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm a teacher, and I think there is a lot to be said for boys in particular starting the following year, when they are older. I also think that they would be more likely to be bored after spending 6 terms in reception/whatever you call it in your state, than 4. It will depend so much on your child's nature, maturity, experience at kindy, readiness to learn, physical health etc., it seems like a strange thing to base TTC on, in my opinion.

Also, in SA the law is changing, although I'm not sure if it's happening nationally, and there will only be one school intake per year, based on a May birthday. So, in theory, children can be just over 4.5 when they start school, but if born after May will have to wait for the following year anyway. Who knows what the laws will be when your child is school age?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

April78xxxx  (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never heard of this. I was born in October and I was fine at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can always hold a child back til the following year if they are pre June and not ready. My oldest was born in May, I started him because he was gifted and needed the stimulation but socially he really wasn't ready. He made it through though, still a year younger than all his friends. They are all 21 this year and he just turned 20. Glad DS2 is a September baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a late November baby (in the old system) and really should have started the year later. I got good grades, made friends easily, was quite the little ringleader. But once year 12 came around I didn't have the maturity for it all and would have benefited from being a year older.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a November baby, he starts in the january following his 5th birthday. No issues here