+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Routine help

I am having trouble getting my 5 month old into a routine. Is it that important that we have one?

She can wake for the day any time between 5.30-8, and from then we basically do 1.5 awake then nap time.

Her naps are all over the place, ranging from 15 mins to 2.5 hours. So every day her nap and sleep times are different.

I feed her to sleep and try to resettle her but I don't like the idea of cc or CIO so I pick her up once she begins to get upset.

I've been waiting for her to get into her own routine but there really is none at all. Should I be enforcing one or just keep going with the flow for now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she's happy & you're happy, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to change anything. People love to tell you what babies "should" be doing, but unless there's a problem that you want to fix... why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm probably going to be against the norm here but sometimes it's easier if there is no routine. I'm happy to go with the flow with my LO who is now 7 months.

She was much like your little one at 5 months. Even now at 7 months she changes her naps each day. Sometimes she has two long sleeps of 1:30-2 hrs. One around 10 and the one around 2:30-3. Other times she has 40min-1hr naps 3 times a day.

If they have no routine and you are happy and bubs is happy then I wouldn't stress about putting them into one. I find my LO is very adaptable which makes things easier when we have appointments and things to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Don't second guess yourself. I have done exactly the same with all my bubs and they are all great kids. They are very self sufficient and can self regulate etc. It just seems normal to me that some days you need more sleep than others. It is also easier to just live a normal and unpredictable life and be spontaneous.

As they get older routine comes more into their lives (school etc.). At the age of your bub we had a basic bath and dinner 'rountjne' not for routines sake but just because its what we did.

I feel the same about cc and CIO etc, never even occurred to me that that would be ok or an option.

I wouldn't change a thing if its working for you. If its not broke don't fix it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as you are both happy and healthy you don't have to have a timed routine.

You already have one probably by the way of she wakes, you feed her, play, 1.5 hrs later goes to bed etc.

I encouraged a routine for ds by starting the day at the same time and bedtime at night same time. But the rest of the day depended on how long he slept for.

In the early days because he was all over the place with his day sleeps it was stressful trying to set time for sleeps rather than how long he had been up for and watching for tired signs so I gave up.

Where as now at 9.5 months he is more predictable.

Their sleeping patterns change so much anyway so if what you are doing works just keep doing it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As others have said, your little one will find her own routine as she gets older. No need to stress about it now. I wish I hadn't with DS. Seriously, what's the deal with putting tiny little babies into military like regimes?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (09-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scatchy View Post
    I am having trouble getting my 5 month old into a routine. Is it that important that we have one?
    Only you can answer that question. Is it important to you that you have a routine? I have always just taken my babies cues so over time have developed a loose routine, but I have never enforced anything with them. They both now go to bed at the same time each night and wake 13hrs later, so not having a routine in that first year did no harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I feel better now and ill keep doing what we've been doing. I just find that I'm constantly second guessing myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, just wanted to add my two cents as this is something has occupied my thoughts and time researching.

I have a 5 month old, and I have been trying to follow his lead with feeding, sticking to a feed, play, sleep cycle. It was relaxing not having to stick with any strict routine and he would tell me when he was hungry and tired and I would act accordingly. The only thing that was a bit stressful was not having a bedtime. We would just wing it and it meant his bed time was anywhere between 7.30 and 10.30. Although this didn't seem to affect him much, it meant we didn't get any wind down time before going to bed ourselves.

I went to a day program through my council for babies under 6 months. They talked about sleeping and settling and I got two pieces of advice that has helped me:

-Keeping to an approximate bed time (7pm-8pm) every night will help them develop a routine, and they generally will wake at the same time every morning (ie in bed by 7pm, awake for the day at 7am) and that this can take about 3 weeks to get used to.

-Sometimes when he'd only have a short name (30-40 minutes) I would naturally assume he was ready for a feed when he got up (it would be about 2, 2 1/2 hours since his last feed). The MCHN suggested he may actually still be tired, so get him up for 15 or so minutes and watch him to see if he shows tired signs. If he does, try putting him back to sleep. Much to my amazement, he showed tired signs I put him back to sleep and he slept for an extra hour and a half! I've tried this a few times and sometimes he's tired, other times he's hungry. It has meant that since that program (which was about 2 weeks ago) he has started sleeping a bit longer through the day, with 2 long naps and 2 short naps.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i went with the flow with my ds for the first 4-5mths of his life. I found it quite easy then. It was wonderful not having to stress about nap times or getting home in time for this or that to happen or only having a certain window of time to go out and about.
    I tried to follow his natural routine but there really was none. Demand fed and a cat napper. I started writing down his days, trying to figure out any regular occurances. Nope. none. Totally unpredictable!

By 6mths he was still cat napping and taking ages to settle for bed at night. So i put some structure into his days and got a strict night time routine happening.
    It became so much easier! and i could make appointments, play dates ect.

We have about 3 different routines to fall back on depending on how long his sleeps go for or what time he wakes of a morning. So structred but flexible.
    Usually wakes at 7-8 has a milk feed
    Ready for morning sleep at 9.30-10. Can sleep 40mins or 2 hrs
    11-12pm morning tea or straight to lunch depending on when he wakes
    Ready for arvo sleep anywhere from 1.30-2.30. Can slep 40mins or 2.5hrs
    Milk feed on wakening anywhere from 3-4.30ish
    5pm dinner. it is very structured from now on untill bedtime which is strictly at 7pm.
    He sleeps through the night. he started sleeping longer during his day sleeps and was gererally happier on a routine.
    One day he might have aewsome long day sleeps, but then the following day, not need them. Then play catch up the next day.
    Each baby is different, listen to you baby and go with your gut.
    Last edited by B00ts; 13-08-2013 at 15:21.