+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Make your own marshmallow fondant- cheap, easy to make and easy to colour. Just melt white marshmallows in the microwave for 5-10 secs, add food colouring and icing sugar until it comes together to form a solid but workable dough. You can chuck in microwave for a second to soften it, or add more icing sugar to harden it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (10-08-2013),Swanex  (10-08-2013),WiseOldOwl  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Make your own marshmallow fondant- cheap, easy to make and easy to colour. Just melt white marshmallows in the microwave for 5-10 secs, add food colouring and icing sugar until it comes together to form a solid but workable dough. You can chuck in microwave for a second to soften it, or add more icing sugar to harden it.
    Thanks for this, I'd never heard of it before but I googled it and found a good tutorial for it. http://seddy5.typepad.com/blog/2010/...w-fondant.html

Great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    The cake cost me about $5 to make but i had all the ingredients already. The fondant cost about $15 (got a kg from the cake shop). Maybe all up about $30. But like i say i had all the cake ingredients (flour, cocoa, eggs, sugar etc). If you dont have all the ingredients it will probably cost more.
    That's not too bad. So you only needed 1kg of fondant? I would have all the cake ingredients. I've had some quotes to have one made and they range from $120 to $180. That's way two much for a family gathering for a 2nd birthday. If it was a 21st that would be different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    That's not too bad. So you only needed 1kg of fondant? I would have all the cake ingredients. I've had some quotes to have one made and they range from $120 to $180. That's way two much for a family gathering for a 2nd birthday. If it was a 21st that would be different.
    Yup i only needed 1 kg of fondant. I used a 8" round cake tin i think and a 2ltr pyrex bowl i think.
    Yeah some quotes can be alot for cakes.