+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please?! I can't bring myself to go to the dentist

Iv had some very traumatic experience with the dentist when I was younger.

It's now gotten to the point where I can't go to the dentist (I haven't been for 4/5years!)
    Iv got 1 hole I can see & cracked another tooth tonight.
    Iv recently cancelled my appointment for the 4th time

I feel so stupid cancelling and not going but I can't go aghhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know exactly how you feel, it has been 10 years since I have been to a dentist. The only way they can even look in my mouth is for me to be sedated first. I have been lucky so far and haven't had any teeth problems yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This might help.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/phob..._treatment.htm

have you got someone that could come along and support you through the experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please just go. I had to have 3 teeth removed when pregnant with my DD, I was a mess but it REALLY isn't that bad.. If you need numbing, they can give you the gas to have and once you're numbed, it's time to shut your eyes and just hope they hurry up as it gets boring!
    Sore teeth are just horrible, it's so worth it to get fixed up!

Don't feel stupid, it is scary having people poking around in your mouth, but the pain will only get worse if left.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    get a recommendation from a friend or gp who knows of someone really understanding and gentle. If you're in Melb I can prob recommend a few. It really is worth going. For all you know it may be a quick and simple job right now. If you wait too long you may lose a tooth that could have been easily saved.
    PM me if you'd like

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm terrified of the dentist. I found a really gentle one. .. but he also will give me 5mg of valium!!! I take it 30 minutes before. . I'm relaxed enough to get through the treatment (but alert enough to not tell him how cute he is)
    If you are comfortable with that then ask for it. Its the only way I can sit in the dental chair!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

oozzle  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im another dentist phob here. It had been at least 5 years since going. I went and needed a couple of fillings. I was so scared i actually cried when she got the drill out!!! .
    Honestly though it wasnt that bad. I didnt feel a thing, if i did feel anything the dentist gave me more numbing stuff. I listened to my music while she was working away. And the second time round (i needed 3 visits) i didnt even care.
    My advice to you would be to tell the receptionist you are quite anxious about it all (trust me its more common than you think). They will make a note of it in your file and prepare you accordingly.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the same boat... so scared of dentists.
    I hadn't been in years and always ignored the pains I got.
    Then I noticed my wisdom teeth started changing colour and after reading some horrendous things online about infections and the risks i finally booked in to the dentist. I cried the whole time sitting in the reception room, the whole time he just looked at my teeth - he wasn't there to do any work, just give me a referral to a surgeon. Then when I went and had my consult with the doc who will be taking them out (I will be out cold for this part) I cried the whole time in his chair too... My partner has taken over booking my date, checking health funds etc and we just don't talk about it because I'm that anxious. I want to cry just thinking about it now! I'm hoping to try some hypnotherapy to calm the nerves but really I just need it done and dusted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I to was petrified of dentists, specifically extractions and the needles. I was lucky enough to find the best dentist, he talked me through an extraction on my first visit and ever since I'm a lot better, still won't consider a root canal though. I've since had 3 more extraction and two fillings, I'm always relieved when its done but its never as bad as I expected if that makes sense. The other thing I personally do is keep my eyes closed and think if my daughter broke her femur and was given nothing but Panadol I can do this, I pinch my hand hard when the needle goes in and count backwards from 100.
    Definitely try and find a really good understanding dentist if you can get some recommendations or something and take someone with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried Bach rescue remedy spray? It is a great relaxer.