+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default If you have any experience with eczema

could you please help me out, since i stopped breastfeeding dd at 11 months she has developed eczema, she was on formula for 1 month and now on cows milk, she was very irritable on cows milk and constipated so we switched to a2 and started giving pear , not sure if the a2 helped or the pear juice but she's a happier baby, but the eczema is weird and i have never dealt with it before. In your experience have you found certain foods trigger it, i noticed the other day after dd had strawberries that she had bumps all over her front and back, chin and then her normal rash spots around the front and back of her neck line where bright red, i've been given cream to help it and moistering her daily, but i'd like to know how others have dealt with eczema did you find certain foods made it worse and any other information you would like to share. Poor little poppet currently has rash all over front back, chin cheeks neck etc looks awful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes my niece was / is still slightly lactose intolerant & it caused severe eczema from about 1/6 years of age.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

silly  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Yes my niece was / is still slightly lactose intolerant & it caused severe eczema from about 1/6 years of age.
    do you know how they dealt with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    could you please help me out, since i stopped breastfeeding dd at 11 months she has developed eczema, she was on formula for 1 month and now on cows milk, she was very irritable on cows milk and constipated so we switched to a2 and started giving pear , not sure if the a2 helped or the pear juice but she's a happier baby, but the eczema is weird and i have never dealt with it before. In your experience have you found certain foods trigger it, i noticed the other day after dd had strawberries that she had bumps all over her front and back, chin and then her normal rash spots around the front and back of her neck line where bright red, i've been given cream to help it and moistering her daily, but i'd like to know how others have dealt with eczema did you find certain foods made it worse and any other information you would like to share. Poor little poppet currently has rash all over front back, chin cheeks neck etc looks awful
    hi silly! not sure if this will address your specific question but you might find some good tips in our Skin Care Hub ... http://www.bubhub.com.au/skin-care.php

The most recent article is tips from other hubbers dealing with eczema. Hope it helps!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-editor For This Useful Post:

silly  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    They changed her milk to zymil. Kept her lactose free as far as all the other dairy products were concerned.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

silly  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, do you know if there's anyone that you can go see, i'm not to keen on changing her diet without some professional advice gp didn't seem to interested in helping prevent it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone, do you know if there's anyone that you can go see, i'm not to keen on changing her diet without some professional advice gp didn't seem to interested in helping prevent it.
    My DS has cmpi - cows milk protein intolerance - milk allergy, this is the direct cause of his eczema and is a well known eczema trigger in children. He is also allergic to strawberries and gets a rash on his mouth and chin.

I would take away all milk products and replace with oat milk, it has the same amount of calcium as cows milk and see what happens. If you have concerns go and see a paediatrician and an allergist. DS has the prick test but cmpi does not show up on this so it was through a process of elimination. Kids often grow out of it.

See the GP for a prescription cream if it's weeping because then it's infected and needs to be treated properly. You can also use cortisol, don't be scared of using steroid cream. It's important to stop an outbreak before infection and stop bub from being uncomfortable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

silly  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    My DS has cmpi - cows milk protein intolerance - milk allergy, this is the direct cause of his eczema and is a well known eczema trigger in children. He is also allergic to strawberries and gets a rash on his mouth and chin.

I would take away all milk products and replace with oat milk, it has the same amount of calcium as cows milk and see what happens. If you have concerns go and see a paediatrician and an allergist. DS has the prick test but cmpi does not show up on this so it was through a process of elimination. Kids often grow out of it.

See the GP for a prescription cream if it's weeping because then it's infected and needs to be treated properly. You can also use cortisol, don't be scared of using steroid cream. It's important to stop an outbreak before infection and stop bub from being uncomfortable.
    Thanks, so does your ds still flare up or are you able to control it? I think i will try and see a pediatrician, suppose i will need a referal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks, so does your ds still flare up or are you able to control it? I think i will try and see a pediatrician, suppose i will need a referal?
    Mostly it's controlled through diet but if he gets unwell I find he might get a few patches, these are easily treated with elocon cream. It works really quickly and stops the itch. How bad is it? A gp should be more help to you if it's not too bad? How old is your bub?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

silly  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi silly, my experience is exactly the same as babylas - DD has CMPI - she is actually anaphylactic to dairy. Her eczema wasn't severe but constant and covered her entire body when I was BFing (cows milk was coming through my milk). After trying formula once (not knowing about her allergy) she was covered in hives and eczema and went into anaphylactic shock. I stopped eating and drinking any dairy after that and within two weeks her skin had completely cleared. She is on soy formula now. Strawberries, citrus, even tomatoes can flare her up a little. I use QV, moisturise etc but honestly the only thing that controls her eczema is her diet. I agree with babyla don't be afraid to use steroid creams, we use Advantan. We had an episode a few weeks ago when DD caught a virus which for some weird reason triggered discoid eczema all over her body. It became infected so they treated with oral cortisone and antibiotics. I was using Advantan three times a day just to control it, but it didn't completely go until the infection had gone and she shook the virus. I know some kids (like my nephew) have mild eczema and respond well to being treated with occasional creams, moisturing, not over heating, only cool cotton fabrics etc, but DDs is really affected and kind of driven by her immune system and allergies. Definitely I would go and see a paed and have allergy testing done. I've heard of allergies not showing up in the prick testing but DDs did - strong reactions to dairy and cats. Sorry for the long winded story. HTH

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessbaby For This Useful Post:

silly  (08-08-2013)